Livescribe is a privately held, venture-funded, consumer-electronics company that is blazing new trails in the area of digital speech and handwriting and is changing the way people write, learn and communicate. Livescribe products enable consumers to capture handwriting and speech, integrate them as one interactive medium, and share the result with other people, applications or services – directly from pen, paper or tablet, to the Web or other Internet-connected devices.
Reporting into Livescribe’s Director of Web Services, this role is instrumental in designing and delivering an system architecture that will help to propel Livescribe products into the mobile Internet, make Livescribe content accessible to more devices, integrate with key partners in the cloud, and allow Livescribe services to scale with rapid growth in users.
We are seeking an individual with extraordinary engineering talent who has a proven track record of developing high performance, high capacity and scalable services and a has passion for creating and working in highly collaborative Agile teams. Also, a good sense of humor, sense of adventure and someone who loves a good Tiki drink now and again would be great!
The following job description is a basic outline of responsibilities and requirements; salary, title and responsibilities are based on experience.
- Provide “hands on” technical leadership of Livescribe’s web platform including architectural vision, technical strategy and alignment with business needs.
- Architect and drive the development of a web services platform design, which can scale to service millions of Livescribe products creating and uploading content for storage, indexing and access by multiple clients and third party web applications.
- Demonstrate technical and execution competence and maturity; act as a coach and leader of peers within your team and within the Livescribe engineering organization.
- Collaborate with product management to understand market requirements and priorities, ensure long-term alignment with technology trends and design plans.
- Be an active contributor to the Livescribe product and technology roadmap, ensuring visibility, effective prioritization and long-term planning for key web service initiatives.
- Exercise independent judgment in developing methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results, yet work collaboratively to vet designs with others.
- Interface with cross-functional teams, effectively communicate ideas and designs and ensure proper technical design and documentation of the system.
- Ensure robustness and correctness of the system by applying best test practices and by promoting the use of those practices within the broader engineering team.
- Help the team to drive the analysis and resolution of key quality issues and performance problems impacting design and production.
Compensation packages include competitive salaries and stock incentives. We are headquartered in Oakland, CA with easy access from 880 and a free shuttle from BART. Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
- M.S. in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 10 + years experience in core Java and J2EE custom-software development; experience with XML-RPC/SOAP/REST web services
- Experience architecting, large, high volume and highly redundant systems and integrating with cloud based services, e.g. Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Excellent troubleshooting skills, especially in multilayered application stacks; ability to multi-task and switch contexts as necessary in a highly dynamic environment
- Strong background in object-oriented architectures and proven experience in using design patterns, UML, Object Oriented analysis and design
- Good understanding of open source technologies such as Spring, Hibernate, Apache, Maven, Ant, Eclipse, etc.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with a range of company stakeholders
- Experience leading and influencing high performing development teams using Agile methodologies and tools
Livescribe - 2 years ago