Cloud computing is all the rage these days, it lets you deal with data in a different way than previously done with traditional databases. The datasets can be very, very large, the data may contain varied information, the schemas may be more fluid.
At Proofpoint, we are dealing with new and interesting datasets, especially around our web scale Event capture, and monitoring platforms. We've used a combination of open source as well as home grown software to build an event capture and processing system that can handle events from all of our cloud based applications (and some of the on-site apps too). This system has to be scalable, fast, and bullet proof.
We're currently looking for a Senior Software Engineer to help build a high powered team that is building and extending this event processing system.
- Understanding the existing event system, and making decisions about what should needs to be fixed, augmented, refactored, or rewritten.
- Designing and developing any new components of the event system.
- Helping the team as well as other teams design their software to take full advantage of the event system to make their own applications more manageable, debuggable, and stable.
- Help build a high-powered, awesome team of individuals that can handle the development of a web scale event system as well as other big-data systems too.
- Deep understanding of Big Data problems, techniques, solutions, and technology.
- Working experience with Hadoop and/or Cassandra
- Solid OO, HA, Concurrent coding skills in Java (C++ may be OK if you're willing to learn Java)
- BSCS or equivalent (MSCS preferred)
- Desired Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of systems that work with or on top of Hadoop or other similar tech (Hive, Pig, Hbase, etc).
- Knowledge of other big data, cloud based services such as MongoDB, CouchDB, BigTable, etc.
- Scrum/Agile development methodology a plus
- Excellent communication skills - written and verbal
Proofpoint - 14 months ago