The Climate Corporation’s mission is to help all the world’s people and businesses manage and adapt to climate change. To achieve our mission, we have built a unique technology platform to enable, for the first time, the real-time pricing and purchasing of customizable weather insurance. Managing over 200 TB of data, including 34 trillion+ weather simulation data points, 150 billion soil type observations, and more than 3 million daily weather measurements, we are one of the largest users of Amazon Web Services.
Today The Climate Corporation is focused on helping farmers protect and increase their profits in the face of increasingly extreme weather. At the heart of the company is our unique Climate Insights™ technology platform, which encompasses our core competencies across weather monitoring, agronomic modeling, and weather simulation, and accounts for over 200 TB of data, including 34 trillion+ weather simulation data points, 150 billion soil type observations, and more than 3 million daily weather measurements. This platform powers the company’s portfolio of technology-based products and services, which are revolutionizing agricultural risk management and farm management.
At The Climate Corporation, leaving a mark on the world is in our DNA; we want to make a lasting and meaningful real-world impact. We relish big problems because they are the most interesting to tackle, the most rewarding, and typically, the most valuable to solve. We also thrive on finding the possible in the impossible.
If you are the best at what you do, you like solving interesting problems, and you are looking for like-minded people dedicated to having a major impact on the world, we are eager to talk with you.
See our video about what it’s like to work at The Climate Corporation: http://vimeo.com/63381109
Senior Software Engineer
The Climate Corporation is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to work on building efficient, robust, distributed services and tools that enable scientists to quantify and visualize weather risks and inform agricultural models. This role includes providing platforms that bridge between scientific groups and product applications. We have a highly collaborative culture; this role will involve working across many different engineering teams.
What you will do:
What you bring to the table:
- Work with a diverse group of software engineers and published scientists to deliver features in a fast-paced, iterative development environment
- Develop and expand infrastructure to process high volume, computationally intensive scientific models
- Implement efficient algorithms for diverse and challenging applications
- Automate data pipelines to model, process, manage and visualize data from diverse sources
- Support your code with automated unit and integration tests
- Develop and refine scalable, fault-tolerant services for terabytes of geo-spatial and other data
- Contribute to the technical and entrepreneurial communities via Open Source projects, blog posts and other activities (we use 20% of our time on own projects)
- BS and at least 3 years work experience in computer science or related technical field
- Expert knowledge of at least one compiled JVM language (e.g. Java, Clojure, Scala), particularly Clojure
- Proficiency in a Unix/Linux environment
- Effective all-round engineer who writes well-structured, easily maintainable, well-documented code
- Analytical thinker who takes delight in choosing the right algorithms and data structure
Contributor to open-source projects
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (EC2, S3, SQS, etc.)
- Knowledge of functional programming
- Experience with Service Oriented Architectures (SOA)
- Experience building big data (e.g. hadoop, cascalog, nosql) solutions
What We Offer:
Our team is composed of some of the most brilliant interdisciplinary minds in the industry. The environment is extremely engaging and fast-paced, with dozens of specialties coming together to provide the best product possible product and experience for our customers.
Competitive salary, excellent benefits, and some of the best perks in the industry, including:
- Stock options. Our success is your success The opportunity to learn business and sales operations skills at a company experiencing explosive growth
- We provide meals and a large assortment of snacks, drinks, fruits,coffees, and teas to help you get through the day
- Spend 20% of your time (2 weeks out of 10) exploring personally compelling topics through independent research/development work
- Company sponsored outings, including go-kart races, kayaking, holiday yacht parties, and sporting events, etc.
- We sponsor hackathons, meetup groups, networking events, tech-talks,and conference trips. If you want to get involved in the tech community, we'll support your efforts
- We encourage all employees to better understand our customers by getting out of the office and hearing firsthand from the agents and farmers our products serve
- Energetic idea-driven work environment with an exciting culture
- Exciting world-changing opportunity - we are solving problems that have a massive impact on the world
- A driven, talented team that aims to make a large-scale impact through an innovative technology platform
The Climate Corporation - 4 months ago