Futurewei Technologies (Huawei USA) based in Santa Clara, CA is actively pursuing innovative ideas and is looking into new and disruptive technologies in the fields of computing, storage and networking. For one of our new and key projects (called Borg) we are seeking several experienced Software Research Engineers to design and develop critical components of a distributed, scale-out database system on a novel hardware platform/architecture. The research engineer will be an active and important member of the Borg Database team in the Center for Innovation and will contribute to the design and development work of the system.
The ideal candidate will have expert knowledge of the database system internals; strong understanding of the state-of-the-art operating systems, file and storage systems, and networking systems. We are looking for candidates with experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Distributed database system
- Database systems on novel architecture, like multi-core systems.
- Distributed query optimization algorithms
- Novel data structures and algorithms for data operations on new architectures
- Cache oblivious algorithms in database systems
- Database clustering technologies
- Postgresql and/or MySQL design, development and debug
- Database performance analysis and optimization
We are building a strong team of experienced researchers and engineers who will bring break-through innovations to the enterprise computing and storage industry. The key responsibilities of the position include:
- Researching and designing the sub-systems of the distributed database system taking into consideration the underlying hardware architecture
- Developing prototypes of the designed sub-systems
- Benchmarking and evaluating the performance of these sub-systems as well as different applications on different hardware components and identify the best suitable platform for the applications in focus
- Evaluating the capabilities of current and emerging distributed database system technologies to identify where improvements can be made
- Consult with and assist the hardware team in the design of novel hardware platform/architecture
- Expert knowledge of the distributed database system internals
- Strong understanding of operating systems, file and storage systems, and networking systems
- Strong C/C++ development skills
- Strong database system development and debug skills
- Ability to quickly learn and evaluate new technologies through prototype implementation
- Strong analytical skills with attention to details
- Demonstrated ability to create new software and system architectures
- Demonstrated ability to think out of the box and innovate
- Linux/Windows system administration skills, shell scripting, etc.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- The applicant should have a Masters degree with 2+ years of experience and relevant skills in the field
- PhD degree in a relevant area is a plus
Huawei Investment Holding knows the importance of good connections. One of China's leading manufacturers of telecommunications...