Job Posting |
We are currently hiring a Senior Systems Engineer for Unix/Linux in Princeton, NJ. The Sr. Unix/Linux Engineer will provide both technology and operational leadership for Covance’s global Unix/Linux Server infrastructure. This will include developing and maintaining a consistent, flexible and reliable server environment; which facilitates project delivery, agility, and operational efficiency. The incumbent will also partner with Infrastructure Leads and Enterprise Architects in defining technology strategy, standards, best practices, and top quality operational processes for the Covance Unix/Linux Server environment. The Senior Unix/Linux Engineer will also provide day-to-day operational support of the environment including: new system delivery, change requests, proactive availability and performance monitoring, preventative maintenance, troubleshooting and the resolution of system issues.
• Provide effective engineering and support services to the global Covance organization by demonstrating ownership and accountability for all assigned tasks and projects
• Partner with Enterprise Architecture, PMO, LOB IT, Infrastructure Leads, and third party service providers in the conception, evaluation, piloting, engineering and operational delivery of solutions for the organization
• Participate effectively in the execution of Enterprise support processes including
• Incident Management
• Problem Management
• Change Management
• Service Request Management
• Asset & Configuration Management
• Audit Compliance
• Business and Technical project delivery
• Infrastructure Delivery Process
• Provide engineering and operational support for Unix/Linux Server-based operating platform
• Plan, design and implement new Unix/Linux Server-based solutions
• Define, document and adhere to technical and operational standards and processes in support of Covance infrastructure
• Maintain detailed technical documentation (e.g. standards, process, Run Books)
• Ensure all tasks are completed with high quality and timely execution
• Strive for best in class teamwork by regularly stretching and consistently measuring execution to a high-bar
• Leverage business knowledge to champion solutions and process improvements that increase customer satisfaction and lower operating cost
• Build relationships which foster collaboration and partnerships to drive better strategies, processes and final product to the customer
• Integrate Unix/Linux Server solutions by working effectively with other platform technologies: Storage, Network, Active Directory, Database other operating systems
• Provide input and participate in strategic planning sessions
• Demonstrate strong organizational, technical validation and documentation skills
• Understand and comply with defined standards for FDA regulated IT environments
• Support internal and external customers as needed
• Receive general direction from manager
• Provide technical leadership to peers and junior personnel within Infrastructure Services
• Act as a technical project manager for major projects, as required
Because of our passion and drive, Covance attracts the kind of people whose contribution has resulted in our exceptional growth. Once a part of our talented team, our employees stay at Covance to work in an environment that encourages career development, allows them to work alongside respected colleagues on challenging projects and provides a diverse global culture.
There is no better time to join us!
• Bachelors degree in Computer Science or Engineering or equivalent demonstrated work experience
• Minimum of 10 years experience engineering, building, and supporting a large heterogeneous multi-data center computing environment of at least 1000 servers
Demonstrated proficiency with:
• Significant, large-scale automation, provisioning and/or systems management implementation experience
• Day to day operational stability
• Process improvement & cost efficiency
• Internal sponsored objectives that improve services and operational efficiency
• Asset and Configuration Management
• Security & Patch Compliance
• Hardware and Software Lifecycle Management
• Proactive Infrastructure monitoring
• Capacity Planning
• Disaster Recovery
• Demonstrated technical skills planning, implementing and supporting the following technologies:
• Linux on x86 – including all aspects of operating system provisioning, management, troubleshooting, operational stability, and lifecycle management
• Solaris version 8 – 10 on variety of SUN servers
• HP-UX on both PA-RISC and Integrity platforms
• Broad and thorough understanding of the entire Unix/Linux Server ecosystem, including boot configuration, storage/volume management, security, infrastructure services, etc.
• Wide range of experience with x86/x64 and Itanium server hardware platforms, preferably HP Proliant, blades, and enclosures or Cisco UCS
• Experience running Linux and HP-UX VM as a guest operating system within multiple Virtual Server platforms, i.e. ESX Server, XenServer, Oracle VM, etc.
• Through understanding of DNS, Internet, TCP/IP, routing concepts, proactive capacity planning and performance monitoring
• Good knowledge of industry best practices and trends in the Unix Hardware/Software space
• Configuration management expertise leverage a third party product such as HP Business Service Automation (HP Server Automation), BMC Bladelogic, or similar
• Proven track record of acting as a strategic partner with IT leadership
• Proven ability to influence and interact effectively with peers and IT leaders
• Innovative team player with strong analytical problem solving and interpersonal skills.
• Strong crisis and vendor management
• Exceptional organization, communication and follow-through
• Background in the Pharmaceutical development services or related industry
• Six-sigma Green Belt Certification
Covance is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. (M/F/D/V). Your confidentiality and privacy are important to us.
Covance - 14 months ago
Covance Inc. is a drug development services company providing a range of early-stage and late-stage product development services on a...