Posting Title Sr. Technical Writer - vSphere Administrator Documentation About Us VMware is the leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable our more than 500,000 enterprise and SMB customers to thrive in the Cloud Era by simplifying, automating and transforming the way they build, deliver and consume IT. As a team, our employees thrive on forward momentum. We are an engine of opportunity fueled by the transformative products and solutions we bring to market, the passion and trust we inspire in our customers, and our collaborative drive to architect what’s next for the future of IT. With 13,000+ employees and 50+ locations worldwide, we are a passionate, innovative and driven group inspired to make a difference in the industry and our communities. Connect with us at www.vmware.com/careers. Why work for our Division VMware’s world-class, award-winning R&D team is comprised of thousands of top-notch computer scientists and software engineers that are transforming computing through virtualization. Members of the R&D team voice their creative ideas and watch them become initiatives, participate in exciting short-term and long-term products on the VMware roadmap, initiate advanced research projects, and/or write and test code that ships. At VMware, our engineers continue to learn and grow by working with top professionals from around the world and recent graduates of top universities and by taking advantage of our extensive internal training opportunities and generous external education assistance program. R&D team members work on the latest computing equipment and have access to the ACM and IEEE libraries. VMware has R&D offices in: Silicon Valley; Cambridge, MA; Broomfield, CO; Sofia, Bulgaria; Aarhus, Denmark; London, UK; Herzliya, Israel; Bangalore, India; and Beijing, China. Job Description Sr. Technical Writer, Datacenter Cloud Infrastructure Technology: We are looking for a writer for our VMware vSphere product line. The writer should demonstrate strong writing skills and solid experience documenting sophisticated datacenter and server technology (installation, upgrade, administration, and general system administration; security and storage technologies experience a plus). The writer must have strong team sensibilities, be able to work with multiple writers on large scale products in a fast-paced environment, and be able to understand and explain complex technical concepts to a system administrator audience.
- Create documentation for experienced technical users as well as those who may be new to administering virtualized platforms. Documentation consists of installation guides, technology-focused system administration guides, release notes, technical papers, and knowledge-base articles.
- Collaborate with software developers, product managers, writers, information architects, quality assurance engineers, and technical support engineers to develop documentation
- Work individually and on a team, read design documents and specifications, and use pre-release software to develop content
- Create documentation designs, plans, and schedules
- Update documentation for minor software releases and author complex documents from scratch for major releases
- Use DITA/XMetaL and FrameMaker to author high quality documentation on schedule. Output to a variety of formats for our Web site, including HTML, PDF, and ebook formats.
- Create Web pages and other collateral in HTML
- Storyboard and script videos on key product technology, concepts, and tasks
Requisition Number 41078BR
- BS/BA in Technical Communication, English, Computer Science, related field, or equivalent experience, with 5+ years of experience writing software documentation for a technical audience
- Experience writing datacenter and server technology documentation
- Ability to organize information, learn complex concepts, and explain concepts and instructions clearly and concisely.
- Must be flexible and enjoy working with new technology in a fast-paced environment
- Understanding of structured, task-based writing is a plus
- Knowledge of security administration or storage administration a strong plus.
- Basic knowledge of UNIX/Linux is a plus
- Knowledge of HTML, XML or DITA is a plus
- Knowledge of video creation and production a plus Location Palo Alto, CA, US
VMware - 14 months ago
VMware, Inc.is a company providing virtualization software founded in 1998 and based in Palo Alto, California, USA. It is majority owned by...