To underwrite inland marine new business and renewals according to authority level and established guidelines, participate in special projects, and provide mentoring for less experienced staff.
· Review large and highly complex inland marine policies to verify acceptability based upon company
derwriting guidelines and granted underwriting authority.
· Determine whether to accept, modify, or decline risks.
· Oversee and approve endorsements as indicated.
· Resolve premium audit disputes within assigned territory.
· Utilize underwriting tools to determine accurate classifications, rates, and premium charges.
· Review state laws, including cancellation and non-renewal, within assigned territory to properly
transact business within the state.
· Consult with general agents/brokers to obtain further information, quote rates, or explain
· Create, analyze, and interpret data from various reports.
· Manage assigned underwriting territory, including management of agents and travel to agent offices.
· Mentor less experienced team members.
· Conduct educational sessions within the department.
· Bachelor’s degree or seven year to ten years related insurance experience and/or equivalent
combination of education and experience.
· Eight to ten years underwriting experience with authority, preferably in excess and surplus lines
with a minimum of five years inland marine underwriting experience.
· Demonstrates an understanding and ability to effectively engage in the negotiation process.
· Strong oral and written communication skills.
· Previous insurance educational work, IIA and CPCU designation strongly preferred.
· Detail oriented with initiative and the ability to work independently in a fast paced environment.
· Excellent analytical skills.
· Ability to travel.
· Advanced knowledge of computer programs, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
Insurance designations desired.
Argo Group - 14 months ago