SUNY Empire State College seeks a Student Services Specialist at our Metropolitan Center located in New York, New York.
Specific responsibilities are to:
• Work collegially in a team environment in a growing student services office. Participate in operational planning to strengthen current services. Coordinate online and manual registration processes with front line staff and Unit Administrators at Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Staten Island.
• Coach students through administrative barriers that are preventing them from progressing towards their degree.
• Coordinate conferences or referrals to appropriate offices—Financial Aid, Student Accounts, Veteran’s Office, Registrar’s Office—to resolve individual student problems.
• Document and track student issues; prepare periodic reports on service issues.
• Assist Coordinator of Student Services with the planning and delivery of Orientation.
• Conduct special topics workshops (eg., financial literacy, using the college’s online resources, etc.).
• Manages the Metropolitan Center’s Scholarship process and communications to students.
• Manage work study students who provide reception desk and computer lab coverage.
Bachelor’s degree required. Three year’s work related experience in higher education, demonstrated experience in oral and written communication, and problem solving with a diverse student population are among the requirements. The selected incumbent should also have the ability to organize, prioritize, problem-solve, collaborate, and work independently along with effective listening, probing, and assessment skills. Excellent computer skills also required.
Master’s Degree preferred. Experience in adult and non-traditional education; experience using student tracking databases is also preferred.
Special Information (i.e., weekend hours, travel, etc.):
Office location is at 325 Hudson Street, New York, NY. Some evenings and occasional travel to Brooklyn and Staten Island offices required.
Rank/Salary: $45,000-50,000, depending on qualifications.
Applications Due By: February 1, 2013.
The college actively seeks to build a culturally diverse faculty and staff and offers multicultural learning and work environments. Empire State College supports all efforts to enrich our community through a steadfast commitment to excellence through diversity. Empire State College is an AA/EEO/IRCA/ADA employer.
SUNY EMPIRE STATE COLLEGE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND EDUCATOR. IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE AFFIRMATIVE ACTION OFFICER AT (518) 587-2100. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT http://www.esc.edu/safety-security
Empire State College - 14 months ago