Under direction of Center Supervisor, the purpose of the position is to perform typing, clerical and filing duties; perform document preparation and file maintenance on computer; engage in public contact both in person and by telephone. Provides assistance and support in the supervision of recreation programs, operations, and facilities of the recreation center. Duties will include: Meet and greet the public. Maintain friendly customer service in all situations. Answer telephones and provide information to the public. Have comfort level working with the general public under high traffic situations. Assist with computerized registration, correspondence, public relations, record keeping and reports. Maintain inventory of supplies and equipment. Protect and supervise facilities and patrons. Assist with programming or conducting activities and special events as required.
Duties and Responsibilities/Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Behaviors:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Comply with all written City policies and procedures.
2. Adhere to assigned work schedule as outlined in City and department attendance policies and procedures.
3. Types correspondence, memoranda, and related materials for the department or division.
4. Receives written and oral requests, complaints, and inquiries, and follow through with details, when necessary act as receptionist.
5. Maintain office calendar to coordinate work flow and meetings.
6. Answers telephone and screen calls; relay messages and instructions.
7. Displays good decision-making abilities.
8. Posts and maintains records; receive and sort mail.
9. Gathers data from files to aid in compiling a variety of reports; make and distribute copies of reports.
10. Maintains and file current records, publications and manuals as prescribed.
11. May supervise part time Recreational Aids.
12. Works independently in the absence of specific instructions or supervision.
13. Reads documents and computer screens.
14. Communicates effectively with the public via correspondence, telephone and in person.
15. Change computer, copier and typewriter ribbon and paper.
16. Processes invoices.
17. Cleans office and provides back up to related positions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND BEHAVIORS
· The ability to work in a team environment; contribute as a team member and treat co-workers, subordinates and customers with respect.
· Build professional relationships with internal staff and customers.
· Offer flexibility and adaptability, especially during times of change.
· Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
· Requires the ability to calculate, compute, summate, and/or tabulate data and/or information. Includes the ability to perform subsequent actions in relation to these computational operations.
· Requires the ability provide guidance, assistance, and/or interpretation to others on how to apply procedures and standards to specific situations.
· Requires the ability to operate, maneuver and/or control the actions of equipment, machinery, tools, and/or materials used in performing essential functions.
· Requires the ability to utilize a wide variety of descriptive data and information, such as City and department policies and procedural manuals, equipment and computer software manuals and vendor catalogs.
· Requires the ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division; ability to calculate decimals and percentages; ability to utilize principles of fractions; ability to interpret graphs.
· Requires ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagrammatic form. Involves semi-routine standardized work with some latitude for independent judgment concerning choices of action.
· Requires the ability to exercise the judgment required in situations characterized by repetitive or short cycle operations covered by set procedures or sequences.
· Requires the ability to perform skilled coordinated movements, such as operating a computer terminal, calculator, copier, fax machine, shredder and two way radio.
High school diploma or GED equivalent required and six (6) months previous experience and/or training working with the public or recreation programs. Valid driver’s license with good driving record or ability to obtain and maintain while employed. Must be available to work evenings and weekends. Must have current CPR/First Aid and AED certificate or obtain upon employment. Must have knowledge and understanding of computer functions and Microsoft Word. Some knowledge of planning, operating recreation programs and facilities helpful. Some knowledge of applicable safety guidelines and preventive measures. Hours may include holidays, weekends and nights.
Tasks require the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds). Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or work station. Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate visual cues or signals. Some tasks require the ability to communicate orally.
Performance of essential functions may require exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as rude/irate customers.
Performance of essential functions may require exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as rude/irrate customers.
Limited exposure to environmental conditions.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed as of the date of preparation and approval. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the position. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by management. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and all requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
City of McKinney, TX - 14 months ago