We have an opening in our San Diego, California office for an in house Staff Counsel. The Staff Counsel is responsible for handling a caseload of pending workers’ compensation cases as well as making special appearances at depositions, trials and hearings before the Workers’ Compensation Appeals Board in the greater San Diego area.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Review files and provide analysis of legal issues to Claims;
- By applying extensive legal knowledge, skill and ability, zealously handle all phases of litigation and ethically represent the best interests of the client.
- Direct cases to resolution/disposition
- Prepare, attend, and report on administrative proceedings and depositions
- Provide educational seminars and roundtables to Claims as needed
- Draft pleadings, petitions, correspondence and documents
- Analyze and set forth litigation strategy on a case by case basis
- Perform legal research
- Communicate with co-workers as well as attorneys outside the office, judges, and court personnel
- EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: Law degree (LLB or JD) from an accredited law school and admitted to The State Bar of California. At least three years workers’ compensation experience required.
- LANGUAGE ABILITY: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to negotiate, write and interpret business correspondence, reports and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- MATH ABILITY: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra.
- REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- TECHNICAL SKILLS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must have knowledge of office operations, workflow analysis, and current technologies in telecommunications, data entry and file management.
- COMPUTER SKILLS: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft word processing software; Microsoft spreadsheet software; and be proficient on applicable databases, systems and vendor software programs.
- CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES: Valid driver’s license and member of the California State Bar.
COMPREHENSIVE BENEFITS PACKAGE:
- Disability and AD&D
- Retirement & Savings Plan with 100% employer match up to 5% of salary
- Education Assistance Reimbursement
- Paid Time Off and Holidays
The Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies (BHHC) is a group of six insurance companies that are part of the Berkshire Hathaway Insurance Group, headquartered in Omaha, Nebraska. Our Workers Compensation Division provides premier workers compensation insurance coverage to employers across the country, with offices in San Francisco, San Diego, Pasadena, Omaha, St. Louis, Atlanta, and Dallas.
As a member of the Berkshire Hathaway insurance group, BHHC has earned an enviable record of success in the insurance industry that is supported by an A++ A.M. Best rating, the highest rating they award insurance carriers. Our corporate size enables our organization to react swiftly and effectively to opportunities in the insurance marketplace. At the same time, our financial strength provides our agents and insureds the security rarely available in a regional specialty carrier.
We value each individual and recognize that attracting and retaining high quality talent is essential to the success of our company. Our structure minimizes bureaucracy and creates an environment that encourages our employees to see the direct effects of their hard work throughout the company. Each division provides hands on training and maintains a small company feel, creating an atmosphere in which 'team players' thrive.