Posting Title Research Scientist, Office of the CTO About Us VMware is the leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable our more than 500,000 enterprise and mid-market customers to thrive in the Cloud Era by simplifying, automating and transforming the way they build, deliver and consume IT. We enable people and organizations by radically simplifying IT through software virtualization with a focus on three core missions: End-User Computing (EUC), Hybrid Cloud and Software-Defined Data Center (SDDC). Join our community – instigators of innovation and transformers of technology – as we envision and create what’s next in IT. Get connected to an engine of opportunity fueled by the transformative products and solutions we bring to market, the passion and trust we inspire in our customers, and our collaborative drive to imagine, define and deliver the future of IT. With 13,000+ employees and 50+ locations worldwide, we are passionately driven to make an impact while contributing back to the community. Learn more at vmware.com/careers today! Why Work for Our Division VMware’s world-class, award-winning RD team is comprised of thousands of top-notch computer scientists and software engineers that are transforming computing through virtualization. Members of the RD team voice their creative ideas and watch them become initiatives, participate in exciting short-term and long-term products on the VMware roadmap, initiate advanced research projects, and/or write and test code that ships. At VMware, our engineers continue to learn and grow by working with top professionals from around the world and recent graduates of top universities and by taking advantage of our extensive internal training opportunities and generous external education assistance program. RD team members work on the latest computing equipment and have access to the ACM and IEEE libraries. VMware has RD offices in: Silicon Valley; Burlington, MA; Cambridge, MA; Broomfield, CO; Sofia, Bulgaria; Aarhus, Denmark; London, UK; Herzliya, Israel; Bangalore, India; and Beijing, China. Job Description Are you a computer systems researcher looking for a new challenge? Ready to move on from hands-on research to a new challenge? Would you like to apply your broad experience and knowledge to create, communicate and drive VMware’s research agenda? We are looking for a researcher to connect our world-class R&D organization with academic partners and provide the leverage to support multiple concurrent projects across a range of subject matter areas.
The VMware Academic Program (VMAP) supports research partnerships through direct funding of research programs, participation in university and departmental affiliate programs, and sponsorship of a wide range of conferences. We are part of the Office of the CTO and work closely with R&D staff across the whole of VMware. We already have close relationships with Tier 1 research universities, and are looking to expand our presence both in the U.S. and internationally.
The ideal candidate will leverage strong existing relationships and build new ties with the academic community to identify the right opportunities for collaboration with VMware. They will work closely with colleagues in the Office of the CTO and other senior R&D staff to identify VMware’s research priorities and create a research agenda in conjunction with the VMAP Director. The research scientist will develop appropriate internal champions to support that agenda, and then engage with the research community to present and advance VMware’s research strategy.
- Establish a close relationship with senior R&D staff to understand the research interests and priorities of each engineering group, and provide feedback from the academic community
- Creation and joint ownership of research agenda to guide collaboration with academic institutions
- Participation in academic conferences and events to present the research agenda and gather information on the current state of research in the academic community
- A proven track record of participation in successful research project, including recent publications and participation in academic conferences.
- In-depth understanding of the nature of the academic research community, with existing relationships in key areas
- Expertise in one or more technical areas relevant to VMware’s research agenda
- Ability to work closely with R&D staff to understand research interests, develop champions and create an overarching research agenda.
- Enthusiasm for participation in academic conferences and other events
- M.S. or Ph.D. (preferred) in Computer Science or related degree Location Palo Alto, CA, US Is this a remote or multiple location position? No Requisition Number 44863BR EEO Statement VMware is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Equal opportunity and consideration are afforded to all qualified applicants and employees in personnel actions, which include: recruiting and hiring, selection for training, promotion, rates of pay or other compensation, transfer, discipline, demotion, layoff or termination. VMware does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, family medical history or genetic information, citizenship, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, military status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. VMware also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law. Further, it is the policy of VMware to maintain a working environment free of all forms of harassment. Note To Applicant: Please disable your pop-up blocker prior to clicking “Apply”
VMware - 17 months ago
VMware is the leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable businesses to thrive in the Cloud Era. A pioneer in...