PURPOSE: Under close supervision of nursing leadership, supports provider practice by assisting with direct patient care duties. May perform diagnostic testing, maintain supply inventory levels, and clean and maintain medical equipment. Carries out all duties while maintaining compliance and confidentiality and promoting the mission and philosophy of the organization.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Rooms patients, takes and documents vital signs and prepares patients for provider exam.
- Administers medication under physician’s direction and within the scope of practice as demonstrated by completion of training and testing.
- Calls patients and informs of normal lab results.
- Calls pharmacy with prescription refill prescriptions as prescribed by and under the direction of the physician.
- Follows directions given by nursing team leader or supervisor.
- Provides patients with educational materials as directed.
- Performs diagnostic testing such as EKGs, audiograms, typanograms, spirometry, and visual screenings as instructed and completes all necessary paperwork.
- Ensures rooms are properly stocked and supplies are current and within expiration dates.
- Cleans patient rooms as needed, including proper handling of dirty laundry.
- Ensures laundry cart is stocked with fresh linens on a daily basis.
- May post patient test results on the PTR line.
- May facilitate the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the immunization program.
- May provide vaccine management including ordering and monitoring vaccine usage/wastage, facilitating the maintenance of the vaccines, participating in educational opportunities, utilizing the Texas Vaccine For Children Provider Manual, and completing reportable documentation as recommended by Texas Department of State Health Services.
- May assist providers with sigmoidoscopy exams and cardiac stress testing by setting up equipment, assisting with patient preparation, and cleaning and storing equipment after exam. Completes all necessary paperwork.
- May maintain equipment (autoclaves, sterilizes, washes speculums, checks expiration dates, etc).
- Performs other duties within the scope of unlicensed personnel as assigned.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent. Graduate of medical assistant program or military MA program preferred.
Experience : Must have 6 months experience either working as a Medical Assistant or working in a clinical care setting providing direct patient care beyond Activities of Daily Living (ADL).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Certificate/License: Certification preferred. Current AHA approved Basic Life Support (BLS) Healthcare Provider Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) course completion card.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Knowledge of the scope of practice in the Medical Assistant role preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to administer medications & injections within scope of position within 90 days of hire.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment and manage competing priorities.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal & problem solving skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Excellent computer and keyboarding skills, including familiarity with Windows.
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm.
Austin Regional Clinic - 12 months ago