Scott & White Healthcare Scheduled to open August 2013, Scott & White Hospital in College Station is seeking high performing leaders to provide exceptional patient care in our newly developed 119 bed acute care facility. Our community hospital, designed by clinicians, incorporates many of the latest trends in health care design and will provide a comprehensive array of medical services to include; Cardiology, Cardiovascular Surgery, Robotic Surgery, Neurosurgery, Labor/Delivery, NICU, Emergency Services (Trauma Level III Designation), ICU/CCU, Invasive Imaging, Comprehensive Cancer Care, Gastroenterology, Neurosciences, Pulmonary, Physical Therapy and Sports Medicine & Rehabilitation. Scott & White Hospital in College Station is a member of the Scott & White Healthcare System, one of the nations largest health care systems and multidisciplinary group practices. Our patients will enjoy close-to-home access to the finest services, backed by the academic medical resources found only at Scott & White.
Fondly referred to as the twin cities, Bryan and College Station are in the heart of Central Texas and home to about 170,000 residents. Located 95 miles north of Houston, 169 miles south of Dallas, 166 miles northeast of San Antonio and 104 miles east of Austin, this centralized location offers the best of both worlds: Small enough to offer safe and affordable living and just a short drive to major metro areas. Here you will also find Texas A&M University, one of the largest public universities in the nation, home to the George Bush Presidential Library and Museum as well as 50,000 students not included in the city population. Responsibilities
Coordinates and provides nursing care including the assessment, education, counseling and treatment of patients and delegating nursing care to others as appropriate. Works cooperatively with ancillary nursing staff and other patient team personnel and maintains standards for professional nursing practice in the clinical setting.
UTILIZES THE NURSING PROCESS AS THE BASIS FOR PATIENT CARE PRACTICE.
PERFORMS NURSING DUTIES AS DELEGATED THROUGH PHYSICIAN ORDERS OR AS OUTLINED IN PATIENT PLAN OF CARE TO PROVIDE QUALITY CARE TO PATIENTS.
- Completes Nursing Admission Assessment with patient and family at time of admission.
- Makes accurate multi-system assessments and clearly documents in patient records on a continuous basis.
- Develops, evaluates, and revises the plan of care based on patient assessments and multi-disciplinary input.
- Assesses and implements appropriate nursing care based upon comprehensive nursing assessment.
- Provides effective patient/family education based on individual learning needs an provides discharge teaching.
- Expedites admissions discharges and transfers to maintain effective patient flow.
DIRECTS, COORDINATES AND PARTICIPATES IN THE ACTIVITIES REQUIRED FOR DELIVERY OF QUALITY PATIENT CARE AS PART OF THE HEALTHCARE TEAM.
- Evaluates, initiates, and maintains standards of care in area of expertise and performs duties in accordance with the policies and procedures of Scott and White and the Nursing Department.
- Implements the medical plan of care appropriately as delegated through physician orders and with the parameters of this job description.
- Administers medications and treatments safely, accurately, and in accordance with established policies and procedures.
PARTICIPATES IN EDUCATION, RESEARCH AND PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT ACTIVITIES TO ENHANCE AND MAINTAIN PERSONAL DEPARTMENTAL QUALIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE.
- Directs and coordinates nursing care, establishes priorities and delegates nursing activities according to patient needs and staff's capabilities and qualifications.
- Evaluates and supervises nursing care and provides constructive and relevant coaching and feedback
- Participates as a member of assigned patient care team, facilitates communication and initiates interdisciplinary activities and makes appropriate referrals.
- Clearly communicates in a timely manner data obtained during nursing assessments, reports and interdisciplinary rounds and serves as an advocate for patients and families when communicating with other health team members.
- Assists team members in providing care to patients or administers direct care when professional nursing skills and judgment are required.
FULFILLS CONTINUING EDUCATIONS, LICENSURE AND/ OR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS TO MAINTAIN REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS.
- Serves as preceptor for new staff, ancillary staff and students in a professional and supportive manner.
- Collaborates with Director, Nurse manager, Nursing Educator and staff to identify and provide opportunities for staff members to develop the knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to contribute to the success of the department.
- Participates in self evaluations when requested, setting realistic goals.
SERVES A CHARGE NURSE TO ENSURE CONTINUITY OF CARE (WHEN APPLICABLE)
- Takes personal responsibility to understand, complete and maintain the professional and technical licensures/certifications required of the position and furnishes Scott & White with the necessary documentation to substantiate compliance.
- Completes unit-specific, age-specific and population specific competencies annually.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC: CLINICAL EDUCATOR ASSISTANT
- Oversees care of all patients on unit for specific shift in accordance with established procedures, makes appropriate assignments, and assists the Director, Nurse Manager of Staffing Office to ensure proper coverage of personnel.
- Contributes to the effective operations of the unit and shift to ensure efficiency and cost-effectiveness.
- Ensures that patient services are provided in a timely, efficient and cost-efficient manner by utilizing the resources (manpower, material and equipment) of the unit or shift economically and assures those services are provided in accordance with established standards of nursing care and the policies and procedures of Scott & White and the Nursing Department..
- Adjusts staffing according to patient census and acuity and level of education and capabilities of staff.
- Assists in development and implementation of new programs, department specific policies and procedures and long range plans to meet department objectives.
- Assists in administering organization personnel policies and procedures related to selection, orientation, training, assignment and staffing in compliance with State and Federal labor laws.
- . Participates in quality improvement activities to advance the practice of nursing at Scott & White
- Facilitates research and quality improvement projects on the unit.
- Acts as a resource to physicians and ancillary departments as needed.
- Coordinates the activities of the unit.
- Serves as the first line contact for greeting patients and resolving patient concerns.
- Functions as a resource for new employees and float staff
- Maintains a positive influence while role-modeling professional behaviors such as rounding, service recovery, scripting and providing a positive approach to problem-solving for the unit.
- Performs other position appropriate duties as required in a competent, professional and courteous manner.
ASSISTS WITH UNIT EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS AND ACTIVITIES BY FACILITATING, COORDINATING, AND DEVELOPING EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE CLINICAL EDUCATOR TO ENHANCE THE EDUCATION OF HEATLHCARE PERSONNEL.
ACTS AS CLINICAL RESOURCE TO PEERS AND MEMBERS OF HEALTH CARE TEAM.
- Demonstrates competence in the teaching/learning process, adult education, and needs of assigned area.
- Co-coordinates new staff orientation/internship to facilitate transition to functioning team member.
- Co-coordinates documentation of staff orientation/development.
- Plans appropriate educational activities in collaboration with Clinical Educators.
- Presents/coordinates effective and informative educational activities.
PARTICIPATES IN EDUCATION ACTIVITIES TO ENHANCE AND MAINTAIN PERSONAL AND DEPARTMENTAL QUALIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE.
- Serves as a preceptor and consultant for new staff, ancillary staff, and students.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Co-coordinates revising/developing unit based guidelines for nursing practice.
- Co-coordinates unit based annual competencies.
- Demonstrates a clear understanding of rules and regulations that govern the licensing/certification/accreditation of assigned area.
- Must be a graduate of an accredited RN School of Nursing.
- Must be licensed to practice professional nursing by the Board of Nurse Examiners for the State of Texas.
- Six months (or equivalent) full-time nursing experience or BS in nursing or related field preferred.
- Must complete examinations and skills checklists within three months for new Scott & White hires.
- Functions competently and effectively in emergency situations.
Experience: Minimum/No Experience
Degree: Registered Nurse
License/Certificate: Basic Cardiac Life Support Advncd Cert per Unit Reqmnt Req Certs get 30d after exp Registered (Professional) Nurs
Department: CSHosp Post Anesthesia Care Un
Standard Hours Per Week: PRN (as needed)