Retail Store Manager works with their Regional Manager, leadership team, and staff to execute store operational objectives as they relate to supporting the annual operating plan. Has direct responsibility for decision making in areas involving customers, team members, operational issues, business planning, priority setting, creating staff schedules, team member performance appraisals, compliance with company policies, and all areas of the business. Supports and drives Goodwill’s mission to help people in central Indiana prepare for, find and keep jobs, with an emphasis on finding employment. Additionally, supports and manages through embracing and demonstrating Goodwill’s five basic principles.
- High school diploma or GED (associate’s preferred)
- Minimum 2 year retail management experience
- Must demonstrate strong relationship management skills.
- Strong communication skills: verbal, written, and computer (proficiency with Microsoft office products).
- Results orientated and driven to achieve goals.
Critical 1st Year Goals
Achieves Revenue and Bottom line contribution goals
Effectively controls Payroll expense
Achieves production goals through effective utilization of staff.
Build positive relations with staff and customers to drive achievement of Customer Service goals.
Cross train all staff on Store Standards.
Critical Job Duties
Staff Management 40%
- Monitor sales, cash management, inventory control and store appearance
- Responsible for keeping the store merchandising standards and store appearance
- Monitor sales, production and donations performance weekly and monthly, and provide monthly reviews to all retail associates. Motivate employees to achieve sales goals set.
- Gives direction to leadership team.
- Interviews job applicants, complies with all company hiring policies and utilizes leadership team with the hiring of team members
- Plans, organizes and directs the activities of fifteen to fifty assigned team members
- Manage Retail Associates in the store.
- Responsible for meeting and or exceeding Revenue and contribution targets for store
- Provide a clean, fun and safe environment for their employees and customers
- Order inventory, conduct inventory audits and manage inventory shrinkage.
- Merchandize and maintain retail showroom floor.
- Insure that every customer has an exceptional customer experience every time.
- Maintain store cleanliness on a daily bases.
- Maintain a positive environment that is cohesive to sales success.
- Maintain personal level of sales performance consistent with corporate guidelines.
- Provide maximum level of customer service to ensure repeat sales.
- Ensure all customers are greeted in timely fashion based upon company guidelines.
- Proactively addresses and follows up with all sales concerns and customer service issues.
- Investigates and handles customer complaints quickly and efficiently and courteously.
- Maintains effective communication with Regional Managers and support staff.
- Insure that the store opens & closes and is properly staffed at all times.
- Effectively recruit and staff all open positions with quality and productive employees.
- Hire, train, supervise and motivate a team of Retail Associates.
- Provide every employee with clear job responsibilities and expectations.
- Ensure all new employees are oriented and trained on all required work processes, procedures, and on expected standards of performance.
- Evaluates the efficiency and productivity of assigned team members by establishing performance standards and objectives and conducting regular performance appraisals
- Assists team members in goal setting and skill development
- Provides feedback on performance, attendance and conduct concerns and administers performance discussion as needed
- Provides work leadership on assigned shifts
- Provides performance related feedback on team members to the Regional Manager as or if they escalate
- Provides training and coaching to team members on assigned shifts
- Work closely with staff to remove significant work barriers.
- Oversees the maintenance and confidentiality of staff personnel records
- in accordance with Federal, State, and Local requirements.
- Manages staff in accordance with traditional Company principals, Federal, State, and Local laws insuring the workplace is free from discrimination and harassment.
Financial Management and Reporting 10%
- Review and report on preliminary numbers. Advice Regional Manager on significant variances and specific action plans to correct.
Inability to effectively build effective working relationship with Goodwill employees and leaders
Inability to learn the store operational procedures, etc.
Inability to train and develop a productive store staff
Inability to adhere to Goodwill’s mission and basic principles
Compensation and Benefits Summary
(depends on location you’ve applied for)
The following is the comprehensive benefits programs in which full-time employees may participate:
- Continuing education & leadership development
- Comprehensive health plan
- Vacation and sick leave
- Life, Dental & Vision
- Short & long term disability plans
- Nationally recognized preventive health & wellness program
- Section 125 pre-tax health spending account, dependent care spending account and premiums
- Retirement plan with generous match
Goodwill Industries of Central Indiana, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Goodwill of Central Indiana - 14 months ago