The Student Services Specialist for the College of Nursing Online RN-BS Program works closely with the Program Director of the Online RN-BSN program and the Director of Student Services to provide quality recruitment, orientation and academic advising of online students. The Student Services Specialist for the Online RN-BS Program will also: serve as the first point of contact for current and/or interested students involved with the online RN-BS Program; Work with representatives from Admissions, Registrars, College of Nursing and Health Sciences (CNHS) Student Services, and the Program Director regarding the recruitment, retention, advising and registration of current and potential students in the online program; provide comprehensive academic advising to new and current online students in the College throughout the academic year and summer sessions; address course enrollments and efficient academic progress toward graduation, university and college policies and procedures as they pertain to academic progress, readmission processes and transfer credit policies; identify and advise students in academic jeopardy; advise undergraduate students in other CNHS programs, as requested by the Director of Student Services; monitor waitlists for CNHS courses and manually override the WISER system, as needed and as authorized to facilitate course enrollments; collaborate with the Program Director, members of University College and Director for Student Services of CNHS in the development and scheduling of new student orientations; assist both the Program Director and Director of Student Services with the planning and implementation of policies and procedures geared towards improving academic support services to online students; proactively identify areas in support services needing improvement; develop a plan to implement improvements and consult with the Program Director and Director of Student Services regarding such implementation; maintain effective communication and collaboration with the Program Director and Assistants of the Traditional and Accelerated Nursing Programs, appropriate staff in the University College, Online RN to BS faculty and appropriate CNHS and University entities with which the online students interface to facilitate the students’ success; assist the Clinical and Internship Placement Office (CIPO) to maintain consistent communication to students regarding all pre-clinical requirements to facilitate compliance with such requirements; maintain the accuracy of the Online RN to BS Student Handbook regarding academic policies and procedures; communicate directly with department chairs and program directors at community colleges regarding changes to curricular policies, procedures and new course development to ensure the integrity of articulation agreements are maintained; advise the Program Director when any changes need formal faculty approval; serve as the academic liaison with agency representatives for community partnerships developed with the online program to ensure that the academic requirements of the partnerships are met; participate in university-wide advising collaboration; attend professional conferences and professional training programs at the discretion of the Director of Student Services; and other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree and three to five years of experience in academic advising and/or providing direct student services in higher education is required. Knowledge of the delivery of online educational content is preferred. Experience with university admissions systems and student record retrieval is preferred.
• Knowledge of software applications, including office software and database management;
• Knowledge of current student development theory and research;
• Proven ability to work with diverse populations;
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
• Ability to effectively and efficiently work in a team capacity with a broad range of staff to accomplish departmental and program goals;
• Ability to work independently and efficiently;
• Ability to work under pressure and under timeframes;
• Ability to handle multiple projects at the same time;
• Ability to supervise the work of work-study students;
• Ability to prepare written reports, correspondence and recommendations;
• Ability to understand the various requirements of licensure for various online nursing programs
• Strong commitment to customer service;
• Strong interpersonal skills, including the capacity to work cooperatively with a wide range of individuals;
• Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail.
UMass Boston is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity, Title IX Employer. Among the procedures which may be used to select personnel to fill vacant positions are review of work experience, reference checks, and interviews. All appointments and promotions will be effective on a Sunday.
with your resume, cover letter and list of three professional references.
Closing date for applications:
January 30, 2013
- Professional. Union. Benefited.
- Full time. Grade 30.
- Normal Hiring Range: $42,215-$46,172.
- State and Trust funded.
University of Massachusetts- Boston - 22 months ago
copy to clipboard