JOB TITLE: Student Support Counselor
REPORTS TO: School Director / Principal/ Senior Student Support Counselor
JOB GOAL : Assist in creating a strong school culture founded on the YES Prep “Thinks and Acts” and dedicated to honoring and nurturing every YES Prep student. Promote and support all students’ academic, emotional, and social potential through group and individual interactions. Act as a resource for teachers, administrators, parents and students.
ILLUSTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Actively engages all students and builds positive relationship with appropriate boundaries;
- Identifies; reports and develops evidence based interventions for targeted students;
- Conducts quality assessments and offers appropriate recommendations and interventions congruent with student needs;
- Utilizes data in assessing needs of, and planning positive caring school culture, prevention and social/emotional programming for grade level/school wide programming;
- Demonstrates high level of skills and abilities in crisis intervention. Assists in assessing level of crisis and plans appropriate response;
- Consulates and collaborates with campus and system staff, parents/guardians, and community partners in a multi-disciplinary approach to identify and reduce barriers to student achievement and persistence;
- Mediates conversations with stakeholders as appropriate;
- Seeks out community resources to establish partnerships that can provide access and services to students; parents and staff;
- Uses knowledge of community resources and partnerships to make appropriate referrals for students and families;
- Pursues continuous enhancement of knowledge and skills through supervision, professional development, and continuing education for appropriate licensure requirements;
- Maintains accurate records while ensuring adequate safeguards for the privacy and confidentiality of information and records;
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Demonstrate behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible;
- Participate in workshops, seminars, and conferences to enhance knowledge and skills and to maintain licensure;
- Obtain licensure within 6 months of employment, if applicable;
- Demonstrate knowledge, and support of YES Prep Schools mission, values, standards, policies and procedures, confidentiality standards, Employee Field Guide expectations and code of ethical behavior as stated in the Field Guide;
- Ensure compliance with all state and federal laws, local board policies, administrative guidelines, and the appropriate professional code of ethics;
- Serve as appropriate role model for YES Prep colleagues, students, staff, and parents;
- Conduct self in a professional manner at all times;
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks, often changing assignments on short notice, with little to no direction;
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with others.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited educational institution.
- Master’s degree in Social Work
- Hold an LMSW/LCSW or obtain LMSW credential within 6 months of employment
Skills and Mindsets
- Knowledge of child and adolescent development models;
- Knowledge of mental health issues and service provider resources;
- Knowledge of state and federal guidelines for identifying and reporting At-Risk students;
- Knowledge of crisis management procedures;
- Knowledge of current educational trends, methods, research, and technology;
- Excellent communication, public relations, and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to interpret and implement laws, rules, and policies;
- Ability to exercise excellent judgment in decision-making;
- Ability to facilitate various size groups using facilitative leadership skills;
- Ability to work collaboratively with others;
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports;
- Skills in written and oral communication, planning, and organization;
- Ability to meet deadlines under pressure; and
- Ability to analyze data in order to make improvement recommendations.
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors
- Belief in and commitment to the mission and core value of YES Prep Public Schools
- Openness to giving and receiving frequent feedback
- Demonstrated ability to work on a team
- A dedication to learn, grow, and develop as a professional
- Belief that every student can and will achieve
- Ability to work urgently in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment
- Strong written communication skills
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and initiatives at once
- Detail-oriented and self-directed
- Initiator, problem-solver, and creative thinker
- Ability to maintain emotional control under stress
- Frequent prolonged and irregular hours of duty
- Some light manual labor
- Endure inclement weather conditions to provide for student safety
COMMITMENT AND COMPENSATION :
Length of Work Year: Year-round position; evening and weekend commitments also will be required
Compensation and Benefits: Compensation commensurate with experience; YES offers a friendly and committed team of colleagues, and a comprehensive benefits plan including medical, dental, vision, life and disability, plus supplemental policies, and retirement programs, including the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and a 401(k) plan.
* The forgoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required. YES Prep Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual preference, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, pregnancy or veteran status.
YES Prep Public Schools - 11 months ago
These students are hooked on higher education. The University of Texas System runs nine universities throughout the Lone Star State with a...