Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
THIS ANNOUNCEMENT WAS AMENDED TO CHANGE THE JOB SUMMARY AND TO IDENTIFY THE INITIAL CUTOFF DATE.
The Pathways Internship Program is designed to attract students enrolled in a wide variety of educational institutions (ranging from high school to graduate school) with paid opportunities to work in agencies and explore Federal careers while still in school. This program exposes students to jobs in the Federal civil service by providing meaningful development work at the beginning of their career, before their careers paths are fully established.
Students must meet the following eligibility requirements to participate in the Internship Program:
1. Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a degree seeking student (diploma, certificate, etc.)
2. Take a course load of at least half-time in an accredited educational institution.
3. Be in good academic standing as defined by the educational institution.
An agency may convert an Intern non-competitively from the Internship Program to a term or permanent position in the competitive service provided that all the terms of section 5 CFR 362.204 are met and there is an available position. However, conversion is not mandatory or guaranteed. U.S. citizenship is required to be eligible for conversion.
Temporary appointments may be extended without further competition.
These positions are located within various organizations of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
See the Duties tab for a description of the position. The duties will depend on the needs of the hiring office and the position the student is selected for.
THIS IS A STANDING REGISTER. The initial cutoff date is October 1, 2012. Additional cutoffs will be made as needed. Applications received AFTER a cutoff date will be considered in the next group of candidates.
U.S. Citizenship is required or proof of legal residency.
Transcripts are required with the current enrollment period course load.
Students must provide official transcripts if selected.
Students must sign a participant agreement if selected.
All applicants must be at least 16 years of age at the time of appointment.
Special Immunizations may be required for some positions.
DUTIES: Back to top
This position receives formal and on the job training designed to familiarize the incumbent with the functions and operations of the organization and to provide practical application of basic health science concepts, principles and techniques. Assists higher graded employees in conducting health science surveys, investigations, or inspections.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED: Back to top
For the complete listing of qualification standards for the Student Trainee (Health Science), please go to:
GS-05 grade level: 4 year course of study above the high school level by the end of the enrollment period leading to a bachelor's degree with courses related to the occupation or one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level.
GS-06 grade level: 6 months of graduate education by the end of the enrollment period with courses related to the occupation or one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level.
GS-07 grade level: One full year of graduate education by the end of the enrollment period with courses related to the occupation or one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience are qualifying for all grade levels and positions for which both education and experience are acceptable.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees . Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. Financial disclosure statement may be required.
6. One-year probationary period may be required.
7. Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will not be paid.
8. Bargaining Unit Position: No
9. Drug Screening Required: No
10. Recruitment Bonus may not be authorized: No
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of résumé and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your résumé and supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility. Qualified candidates will be assigned to a quality category (Best-Qualified, Well-Qualified, and Qualified). The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the competencies required for this position.
The Category Rating Process does not add veterans preference points but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or higher).
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
1. Knowledge of the fundamental laws and theories of health science activities.
2. Skill in office automation duties.
3. Ability to read and follow instructions.
BENEFITS: Back to top
The Federal Government offers a comprehensive benefits package. Explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees at http://www.usajobs.gov/ResourceCenter/Index/Interactive/Benefits#icc .
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-points veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference", plus the proof required by that form. For more information on veterans preference see http://www.usajobs.gov/veterans.asp .
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see http://www.sss.gov ).
For information on "People with Disabilities" please visit http://opm.gov/disability/PeopleWithDisabilities.asp .
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible see http://opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap . To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - 21 months ago