Under the direction of a producer and technical director the Studio Camera Operator is responsible for operating a camera to convey images for network broadcast. The individual in this role will follow action closely and choose shot angles and distances as well as working from a shot list. Primarily works in studio, but may occasionally travel and work outdoors.
Essential Job Functions:
Position Requirements: Operations (Tactical Responsibilities)
- Follow a shot list, while choosing the angles and distances.
- Understand the needs of the viewer and imagine the visual flow that will make sense.
- Listen carefully to show dialogue and match the shots to the action.
Knowledge & Experience (Technical Responsibilities)
- Choose and frame each shot, applying the technical aspects of light, lenses, film, filters and camera settings to achieve the effects described by the show director/producer.
- Adjust positions and controls of cameras, and related equipment to change focus, exposure and lighting.
- Confer with producers, sound and lighting technicians and other crew members to discuss assignments and determine filming sequences, desired effects, camera movements and lighting requirements.
- Set up and perform live shots for broadcast.
- Test, clean and maintain broadcast equipment, including testing microphones, to ensure proper working condition.
Formal Education & Certification:
- Knowledgeable and versatile in photographic equipment, as well as lighting, composition, and movement.
- Ability to imagine how something will look after it is moved around or when its parts are moved or rearranged.
- Ability to see details at a distance and close range, with corresponding hand eye coordination.
- Familiarity with editing to include understanding how to move the flow of images, even limited on-screen action, to create a desirable viewing experience for the customer.
- College diploma or university degree in the field of Communications, Broadcasting, Radio/TV/Film, Engineering and/or equivalent work experience.
- No Supervisory responsibilities with this position.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Exceptional communication and listening skills are essential.
- Ability to conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
- Reacts to project adjustments and alterations promptly and efficiently.
- Flexible during times of change.
- Ability to elicit cooperation from a wide variety of sources, including studio and production personnel, engineering, on-air talent, other departments, and management.
- Strong oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Must be willing and able to learn, understand, and grow with the business.
- Ability to present technical ideas and concepts in a user-friendly language.
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Sitting and/or standing for extended periods of time.
- Overtime may be required in meet deadlines.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other computer components.
Pac-12 Enterprises - 14 months ago