Be a member of the Commodity Purchasing Section in the Acquisition Division, and will report to the Supervisor of Base Support & Infrastructure Group. Will be responsible for providing professional, expedient acquisitions initiation and facilitation to the segments of the Laboratory that are involved in the acquisition of, but not limited to, services, equipment, design and build, test flights, subscriptions, vehicles, etc. Development of requirement documents, development of acquisition strategy, and issuance of solicitation documents, participation in the evaluation of proposals, negotiations with proposers, drafting all subcontracts and processing through appropriate levels of review leading to execution of the subcontract. Will be responsible for required post-award management activities, including monitoring and managing subcontracts deliverables, cost, schedule, on-time delivery, subcontract compliance, socio-economic goals and resolving invoice discrepancies for the successful completion of the subcontract including closeout. Interact with internal and external personnel on pertinent matters, often requiring the coordination of activity across organizational lines.
- Responsible for the identification, solicitation, selection, award, drafting and management of subcontracts. Develop requirements received in the form of purchase requisitions and project documents into solicitation documents to obtain pricing information, cost, technical and management proposals to establish lowest responsive and responsible bidders or select best value proposers. Utilize all available information to formulate negotiation strategies and conduct negotiations on delivery, price, technical requirements and subcontract terms. Manage the cost, schedule and quality of the requirements under the subcontract to ensure compliance with Laboratory requirements and resolve discrepancies. Manage subcontracts to ensure timely completion of requirements and the closeout of subcontracts, negotiating subcontract modifications as needed.
- Develops and issues complex solicitations for a broad range of material, supplies and services.
- Performs complex analysis and evaluation of proposal data to determine the appropriate source for award based on price and other factors.
- Analyzes and prepares documentation for internal audit and review requirements.
- Obtains issuance of and manages resulting subcontracts, negotiating and documenting all modifications, overseeing all significant business communications, and interacting with appropriate Laboratory personnel.
- Ensures all required items and support are delivered and received in accordance with subcontract terms, all internal activities are appropriately managed, and all problems identified
- Manages subcontract completion and closeout.
- Performs complex and varied job functions and activities within discipline.
- Works independently on important assignments and projects with only limited supervision, typically receiving only general instructions.
- Exercises discretion and independent judgment to compare and evaluate various methods, approaches, and resources and decide which will best accomplish each aspect of such assignments and projects.
- Work is evaluated upon completion for results.
- Responsible for completing significant project or assignment milestones.
- Actions and decisions will have a significant positive impact on a functional organization due to improvements in methods, use of technology, and/or policies and creation of additional work product that increases value of the functional organization.
- Failure to achieve results or erroneous decisions will likely have a substantial adverse impact on team or functional organization’s ability to achieve significant project objectives.
- Provides direction and mentoring to others within the organization.
- Regular use of creativity and innovation to address important issues.
- Analysis of situation or data requires identification, review and interpretation of complex factors as well as decisions as to policies, procedures and practices.
- Exercises discretion and independent judgment in evaluating potential approaches and solutions to significant problems and determining appropriate resolutions.
- Interactions normally involve exchanging and validating comprehensive and analytical information.
- Frequent interaction with customers and peers inside and outside organization on significant matters.
- Occasional interactions with industry organizations.
- Contributes as a key team member on teams inside or outside own organization, project, activity or function.
- May lead teams.
- Typically requires a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, or related discipline with a minimum of 3 years of related experience; Masters degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 1 year of related experience; or PhD in similar disciplines.
- Broad knowledge in one or more related fields of the following areas: Total supply chain management process or procurement process.
- Extensive understanding and wide application of principles, theories, concepts and techniques in procurement process.
- Extensive knowledge of applicable industry and/or academic practices and standards in business practices, analytical skills and negotiating principles.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Excellent people skills.
- Ability to multi-task and operate in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Possesses problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to prioritize appropriately and be team oriented.
- Proficiency in personal computer software applications.
If you'd like to discover new worlds with our innovative team and enjoy a competitive salary and impressive benefits with the renowned leader in space exploration, apply now!
- Extensive knowledge of applicable Laboratory policies and procedures, NASA policies and procedures and government regulations.
- Professional designation in government contracts or purchasing management and/or membership in related professional affiliations.
- Experience in applying best business practices in a government-related subcontracting environment, including source selection, conducting negotiations, and management of hardware, software and services subcontracts.
- Solid understanding of applicable laws, government regulations and the Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR).
- Experience with Oracle Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system or other automated procurement system.
- Active NCMA involvement and professional certifications
If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
JPL is an Equal Opportunity Employer devoted to work force diversity.
Jet Propulsion Laboratory - 18 months ago