Wishing you could have an ownership stake in the company you are working for?
Founded in 1898, Burns & McDonnell is an award-winning engineering, architectural, construction environmental and consulting services firm.
We are a 100% employee-owned, with regional and project offices nationwide.
Burns & McDonnell plans, designs, constructs and manages projects all over the world with one mission in mind -- to make our clients successful.
Burns & McDonnell has an exciting opportunity in our Minneapolis Office’s Transmission & Distribution Group as a substation engineer. The Substation Engineer is a position reporting to the T&D Manager.
This position will be required to provide design, specifications and construction documents.
The position requires a strong interest in power systems and design of electrical high voltage substations.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Gather all pertinent information of projects and document scope of each project;
- Assist with proposal preparation;
- Prepare material lists, plan, elevation and detail drawings for
- Perform electrical design and calculations for various electrical power, communication and control systems involved with electrical substation projects;
- Prepare relay /control panel arrangement plans, material lists, relay and control schematics, external connection diagrams and wiring diagrams for electrical substation projects;
- Prepare engineering and construction estimates;
- Prepare equipment, material and construction specifications for projects;
- Coordinate and work with material manufacturers and construction contractors to ensure the integrity and completion of the project on schedule;
- Interact with clients and provide quality customer service.
NATURE AND SCOPE OF POSITION
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering with emphasis in Power Systems;
- Minimum 4 years of substation design experience;
- Professional PE registration is preferred;
- Experience with protective relay settings is preferred;
- Knowledge of National Electrical Safety Code (NESC) is required and knowledge of Rural Utility Service (RUS) requirements desired;
- Excellent interpersonal skills as well as verbal and written communications skills;
- Ability to coordinate the work of various engineering disciplines and contractors to complete an integrated project;
- Ability to work collaboratively with individuals at all levels in the organization in a team environment;
CRITICAL REPORTING/WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- Requires ability to limited travel.
- Valid driver's license required.
In addition, must meet standards to qualify for and maintain the Company's vehicle driving privileges as outlined in the Company's Motor Vehicle Safety Policy.
This position will require strong interpersonal and communication skills to build and maintain the reporting and working relationships.
The duties described above are the general nature and level of work performed, but is not intended to be a complete comprehensive list of all the duties, activities, and responsibilities required the position.
Supervisors or managers may ask job incumbents to perform other duties as needed and/or required.
Management has the right to revise this position description at any time.
Yes, 15 % of the Time
At Burns & McDonnell, we believe in the power of an entrepreneurial dream. It’s how we began, in 1898, when Clinton Burns and...