Perform engineering and design duties, which require application of engineering principles and knowledge of substation design.
Education / Experience
Bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university, with a power background preferred.
Candidate must be a licensed professional engineer or able to become licensed within one year.
If registered in a state other than where the engineer will practice, the employee must be able to obtain a license within one year of date of hire.
Five plus years of related experience is required.
Possess skills in the following areas:
• Strong knowledge of AC/DC fundamentals
• Knowledge and understanding of three phase power systems
• Knowledge and understanding of substation components and their functions
• Knowledge of design documents and drawings necessary to complete a substation protection and control design project
• Knowledge of engineering standards including NEC, NESC, NEMA, IEEE and ANSI
• Knowledge of common word processing, spreadsheet, and e-mail software
• Working in a team environment
• Communicating effectively with co-workers, vendors, clients, etc.
Duties & Responsibilities
Employee may be called upon to perform any or all of the following functions:
• Work with project team to create all design documents and drawings for a project, including creating one lines, schematics and wiring diagrams, generating bills of materials, and applying field mark-ups of project as-built drawings with minimal supervision
• Perform Engineering support tasks such as relay burden, lighting, load flow, voltage drop, and short circuit calculations with minimal supervision
• Review project schedules and work with project engineer to insure projects remain on schedule
• Apply engineering standards including NEC, NESC, NEMA, IEEE and ANSI
• Properly use the document management system
• Apply corporate standard engineering practices
• Supervise project activities
• Communicate and coordinate project activities with project engineer, customer representatives, and others as needed
• Spend time at job sites to gain hands-on knowledge and additional training in substation construction and design
• Take personal responsibility for the quality and accuracy of his/her work
• Bring potential project-related problems and possible solutions to the attention of the responsible party
• Travel out of town for short periods of time as required by projects and assignments
• Other duties as required
Dashiell - 15 months ago