Jumpstart is a national early education organization working toward the day every child in America enters kindergarten prepared to succeed. Jumpstart delivers a research-based and cost-effective program by training college students and community volunteers to serve preschool-age children in low-income neighborhoods. Through a proven curriculum, these children develop the language and literacy skills they need to be ready for kindergarten, setting them on a path for lifelong success. Jumpstart is a proud member of the AmeriCorps national service network. Learn more at jstart.org .
The Government Relations Intern will be a member of Jumpstarts Government Relations department and will support the departments implementation of an integrated federal, state and local strategy to influence public policy related to early childhood education, higher education and national service. The Government Relations Intern will be responsible for preparing written materials for both internal and external audiences, supporting the planning and implementation of events with government officials, tracking and compiling information about government officials, and will also play an integral role in ensuring that Jumpstarts Read for the Record campaign is a success. In addition, the Government Relations intern will have the opportunity to learn about the organizations strategic goals related to policy and advocacy and to undertake independent research on timely policy initiatives. This position will report to the Government Relations Coordinator.
- Assist with the writing and compilation of written materials for internal and external audiences , including updates in internal communications and documents for external audiences (e.g., Jumpstart fact sheets, talking points, issue papers)
- Correspond and communicate with various audiences, including elected officials
- Track communications with and information about members of Congress, their staff and other officials at the federal level
- When applicable, support logistics for visits with members of Congress, their staff and other officials at the federal, state and local levels
- Plan and assist with Jumpstarts Read for the Record events to engage members of Congress to participate, including sending invitations to members of Congress, and preparing materials and resources in advance of the events
- Conduct research on relevant legislation at the federal and/or state level
- Provide support related to Jumpstarts compliance with federal government funding
- Support department logistics and administrative office functions
The ideal candidate will be a rising sophomore, junior or senior.
- Experience working in an office
- Passion for and interest in government affairs, entrepreneurial non-profit organizations, and education
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Commitment to professional integrity in all communications
- Exceptional organizational skills, high attention to detail and ability to plan and implement in a demanding, fast-paced environment
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to perform independently with minimal guidance and to work collaboratively with a team comprised of individuals from all levels of the organization
- Flexibility and adaptability with a strong work ethic
- Energy, enthusiasm and interest in learning within a growing, dynamic organization
- Commitment to Jumpstarts mission and values of learning, connection, determination, joy and kindness
Duration of Internship
12 weeks (May - August)
This position is unpaid. However, this internship will provide valuable insight into policy and advocacy work as well as experience working at a dynamic, entrepreneurial non-profit organization.
Candidates will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. Please send a thoughtful cover letter and resume to Angela Trowbridge, Government Relations Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jumpstart - 7 months ago