As Counselor In Training:
This is a seasonal volunteer position that is responsible for assisting the Camp Counselors with camp activities and games. Work is performed under the supervision of the assigned Senior Camp Counselor.
* This is a volunteer position thus you will recieve 335 community service hours.
Functions & Duties:
Qualifications & Competencies:
- Assists in the orderly conduct of campers participating in recreational activities.
- Assists the Senior Counselor and/or the Jr. Counselor in setting up playing fields and other activities such as field trips.
- Works with the children or young adults who may need help in understanding or performing a game or activity.
- Attends all camp related meetings.
- Must be high school student at least 15 years of age. Proof of age, required.
- Must be CPR/AED Certified or be able to become certified and provide a copy of Certificate.
- Complete a Beginning Counselor Class prior to the commencement of camp.
- Be of good moral character.
- Must work the entire eight (8) week program.
- Must submit three (3) character reference letters (from non relatives).
- Possess a 3.45 cumulative grade point average in academics in school and provide a copy of most recent report card.
- Must complete an interview with the Parks and Recreation Program Manager.
- Must be Fingerprinted and pass a Background Check.
- Must attend all Mandatory Camp Training Dates and Camp Open House one week prior to the start of camp. Time off requires prior approval.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge of activities enjoyed by children or young adults. Ability to listen and follow directions.
- Ability to set an example to campers to encourage cleanliness, sharing, clean up, chores, and sportsmanship.
- Ability to accept responsibility as well as praise and criticism if warranted.
- Ability to communicate with children, young adults and employees.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Must be able to work indoors and outdoors under hot and humid conditions and be exposed to radiant energy. Must be able to walk, run, jump, kneel, stoop, bend, and reach in order to participate in games.
City of Parkland, FL - 4 months ago