As Junior Counselor:
This is a temporary position which provides a transition for an employee from a Counselor in Training to a Camp Counselor position. The person in this position is responsible for helping to set up and monitor camp activities. Work is performed under the direction of a Senior Camp Counselor.
Functions & Duties:
- Assists Senior Counselors where needed and may perform the duties of a Senior Camp Counselor.
- Assists during the absence of the Senior Counselor.
- Assists Senior Counselors with campers on field trips.
- Acts as a liaison between Camp Counselors and Camp Directors.
- Attends all camp related meetings.
- Assists in setting up activities for the day as directed by the group Senior Counselor.
- Works with campers who may need help understanding or performing a game or activity.
Qualifications & Competencies:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of activities enjoyed by children and young adults.
- Ability to listen and follow directions.
- Ability to set an example to campers to encourage cleanliness, sharing, clean up, chores, and sportsmanship.
- Ability to accept responsibility as well as praise and criticism if warranted.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
Must be able to work indoors and outdoors under hot and humid conditions and be exposed to radiant energy. Must be able to walk, run, jump, kneel, stoop, bend, sit, and reach in order to participate in games.
Must be an upper grade high school student.
Must have completed one year in a Counselor in Training position & have a total score on your previous summer evaluation of at least a 16.
Be of good moral character and provide a positive attitude toward individuals with disabilities.
Must work the entire eight (8) week camp program.
Must attend all Mandatory Camp Training Dates and Camp Open House one week prior to the start of camp. Time off requires prior approval.
Must hold a current CPR/AED certification and provide a current certificate.
Posses a 3.45 cumulative grade point average in academics in school and provide a copy of most recent report card.
If first year working at the camp , you must provide (3) character reference letters.
Must complete an interview with the Parks and Recreation Program Manager.
Must complete and pass a Background Check and Fingerprinting.