As Senior Camp Counselor:
This is a seasonal position responsible for assisting the Camp Directors in the organization and teaching of recreational activities for children or young adults assigned to them. Work is preformed under the supervision of the Camp Director.
Functions & Duties:
- Works with each camp participant to help them meet the goals established by the Camp Director for camper development.
- Supervises campers in the successful participation in all aspects of camp activities. Sets an example for campers and others by demonstration in cleanliness, sharing, clean up, sportsmanship, and manners.
- Assists in teaching or leading activities as assigned. Chaperone's campers on field trips.
- Encourages respect for camp property, equipment and facilities. Responsible for afternoon cleanup of individual rooms and all camp grounds.
- Maintains good public relations with the parents of campers.
- Prepares and submits reports as required on a timely basis.
- Supervises the orderly arrival and departure of campers.
Qualifications & Competencies:
- Must be at least 18 years of age and able to commit to the entire camp program.
- High school graduate or possess a GED from a recognized institution.
- One year of child care experience; or an equivalent combination of experience and training.
- Be of good moral character and provide a positive attitude toward individuals with disabilities.
- Must hold a current CPR/AED certification and provide a current certificate.
- Must attend all Mandatory Camp Training Dates and Camp Open House one week prior to the start of camp. Time off requires prior approval.
- If first year working in the program, must provide (3) character reference letters.
- Must complete an interview with the Parks and Recreation Program Manager.
- Must be fingerprinted and pass a background check.
- Knowledge of activities enjoyed by children or young adults.
- Knowledge of safety rules and regulations.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to keep records and prepare reports.
- Ability to exercise good judgment, self control and demonstrate enthusiasm and patience.
- Ability to assist in teaching and coaching campers in planned activities indoors and outdoors.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, camp participants, parents, and the general public.
Must be able to work indoors and outdoors under hot and hot humid conditions and be exposed to radiant energy. Must be able to walk, run , jump, kneel, stoop, bend, and reach in order to participate in games.
City of Parkland, FL - 23 months ago