The Huffington Post is seeking an summer editorial intern to work closely with the reporters and editors on the Crime/Weird News team. Our intern is considered a part of the editorial team- you will work side-by-side with us in the HuffPost newsroom. Our intern can expect to be fully immersed in weird news and given a crash course on CMS and social media, and how they function within a modern journalistic environment. This is great opportunity to learn all the ins and outs of new media and get first-hand exposure to how The Huffington Post works. This is not a reporting job, but you'll need to have a way with words, to suck in viewers.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- The ability to craft killer headlines
- Managing the Weird News and Crime front pages
- Utilizing web analytics to find what works- and what doesn't
- Pitching stories to HuffPost Front Page
- Being a voice on both Twitter and Facebook, including crafting great posts, scheduling them, and doing whatever it takes to foster a community.
Requirements for Success:
- The intern must eat, sleep and breathe weird news.
- Creativity is key- you must think outside the box!
- Internet junkies are welcome- the more you love devouring online content, the better! We are looking for the type of candidate who can spot viral content- before it goes viral!
- Meticulous dedication to detail is key
- Experience using a CMS is required (ex.- WordPress, Drupal, MoveableType, etc.)
- Familiarity with Photoshop/InDesign preferred
- Working knowledge of social media outlets is required, including: twitter, tumblr, facebook, pinterest, etc.
- Experience in creating/writing blogs is strongly preferred
- Basic HTML experience preferred
This internship is located in our New York, NY office, and is open to current undergraduate and graduate students, as well as recent graduates (only December 2012 and later graduates will be considered for this role). It is a full-time, paid role--40 hrs/week, $10.00/hr. This internship will run from early June through mid August.
About HuffPost- The Huffington Post is a Pulitzer Prize-winning source of breaking news, features, and entertainment, as well as a highly engaged community for opinion and conversation. The Huffington Post has 50 million monthly unique visitors (comScore November, 2012) posting more than 8 million comments each month. The site has more than 40,000 bloggers -- from politicians, students and celebrities to academics, parents and policy experts -- who contribute in real-time on the subjects they are most passionate about. The Huffington Post has editions in the UK, Canada, Quebec, France, Spain, and Italy with Japan and more scheduled to launch in the coming months.
AOL is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other classification prescribed by applicable law.
AOL - 20 months ago
Though it's no longer a part of Time Warner, AOL is still serving America online. The Web portal serves users with an array of content...