Histology Laboratory Supervisors are responsible for overseeing the daily operations of a growing anatomic pathology laboratory. This position is responsible for ensuring the laboratory is performing at the level it should be, meeting all goals, and the quality of results being reported are at the appropriate level meeting all necessary Quality Control (QC) guidelines. They work with Histotechnicians I, II, III; Histotechnician Trainees, Lab Aides to resolve any professional conflicts, they track all employee hours, and schedule employee’s time. They work with upper management to ensure all policies and procedures are carried out, and that their unit meets all necessary regulatory guidelines.
1. Provides oversight for routine histology functions inclusive of processing, embedding, microtomy, and staining.
2. Oversees daily routine laboratory operations on each shift to ensure that quality standards and turnaround time are met.
3. Maintains quality control standards within CAP and CLIA guidelines.
4. Performs personnel performance reviews and coaching.
5. Responsible for scheduling employees.
6. Maintains established performance and production standards.
7. Maintains responsibility for providing daily supervision of high complexity test performance by testing employees.
8. Assures that all remedial actions are taken whenever test systems deviate from the laboratory’s established performance specifications.
9. Provides orientation to all laboratory employees.
10. Evaluates the competency of all laboratory personnel and assures that the employees maintain their competency to perform procedures. The procedures for evaluation of the competency of the employees must include, but are not limited to:
o Direct observations of routine patient test performance, including patient preparation, if applicable, specimen handling, processing, and testing;
o Review of quality control records, proficiency testing results, and preventative maintenance records;
o Direct observation of performance of instrument maintenance and function checks;
o Assessment of problem solving skills.
11. Coordinates workflow on a daily basis to ensure timely analysis, reporting of patient samples, and handling the daily/weekly/monthly scheduling, including lab rotations.
12. Regulates all Quality Assurance (QA)/Quality Inspection (QI)/Quality Control (QC) to ensure laboratory standards and regulations are maintained.
13. Ensures lab has adequate inventories of reagents and supplies.
14. Assists with the selection, training, mentoring, and performance evaluation of lab team.
15. Resolves employee relations issues and recommends disciplinary action when required. Initiates disciplinary action when control results exceed defined acceptance limits.
16. Acts as first point of contact on technical, procedural, and policy questions. Keeps team informed of new processes and general updates.
17. Assists as needed to perform other related duties and special projects to support Molecular Supervisor as required.
18. Accepts other duties as assigned.
1. Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
a. Demonstrated skills in technical data interpretation and ability to troubleshoot.
b. Demonstrated ability to take and follow direction and to know who the resources are for their direction.
c. Ability to direct others as well as take direction from others.
d. Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Word, Excel, Outlook, and general working knowledge of Internet for business use.
e. Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-past, high-stress, deadline driven environment.
f. Drive for Results (Service, Quality, and Continuous Improvement) – Ensure procedures and processes are in place that lead to delivery of quality results and continually reassess their effectiveness to achieve continuous improvement.
g. Communication – Proficient verbal and written communication skills. Willingness to share and receive information and ideas from all levels of the organization in order to achieve the desired results.
h. Teamwork – Commitment to the successful achievement of team and organizational goals through a desire to participate with and help other members of the team.
i. Customer Service Focus – Demonstrate a focus on listening to and understanding client/customer needs and then delighting the client/customer by exceeding service and quality expectations.
2. Education, Certification/Licensure, and/or Experience
a. High School diploma or equivalent required.
b. Three to five years experience in an anatomical pathology laboratory; two plus years experience in a supervisor capacity required.
c. HT, HTL (ASCP) certification preferred.
3. Physical Demands
4. Will work at a computer some of the time as well as need to keep specimen processing records requiring the use of copiers, fax machines, and PDF scanners.
5. Visual acuity and analytical skill to distinguish fine detail.
6. Manual dexterity to use common laboratory equipment and perform sterile techniques as required.
7. Must possess ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time.
8. Must possess ability to perform repetitive motion.
9. Ability to lift up to 30 pounds.
10. The ability to handle and transport hazardous waste material.
11. May be required to transport (from satellite locations) and dumping as much as five gallons of hazardous waste at a time into 55 gallon HAZMAT waste drums using safe procedures and PPE.
12. May be exposed to hazardous waste including stain waste (i.e., hematoxylin, eosin, etc.) aromatic hydrocarbons (xylene), and other combustible organics (i.e., ethyl alcohol and isopropanol).
13. May be required to handle blood-borne pathogens and general laboratory reagents.
a. Willingness to work overtime is required.
b. Travel Required (Highlight One): Rarely Occasionally Frequently
c. Weekends/Evenings/Holidays (Highlight One): No Yes, please explain
At times may be required to work weekends/holidays. Requires flexibility of hours and when problems arise, may be required to work overtime.
This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Miraca Life Sciences - 20 months ago