Scope of Work - Main duties, settings, geography, reporting relationships, other relationships:
Responsible for the project cost estimates, engineering design, construction standards, and material specifications of the Transmission and Distribution Substation facilities in support of Electric Capital Delivery (ECD) projects at RG&E and the possible support of NYSEG and CMP projects. The 2012 ECD capital budget is $295M. , The electric delivery system in Maine has approximately 315 substations. The electric delivery system in New York has approximately 621 substations with voltages ranging from 345 kV to 4 kV.
Supervise engineers and contractors in the planning, design, construction, commissioning, and maintenance of substation facilities system-wide. Oversee engineering and design to ensure safe, reliable and cost effective facilities are constructed. Provide engineering services for the construction and maintenance of substation facilities to ensure uninterrupted power supply.
Responsible for department compliance with industry and company safety standards and policy.
Responsible and accountable for adherence to federal and state regulatory requirements, including FERC, NERC, NPCC, NYISO, NY PSC (and possibly ISO-NE and ME PUC) as they apply to Transmission, Substation and Distribution engineering.
MAJOR ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Scope of work - range of responsibilities):
1. Supervise and approve the work of engineering and design groups toward the completion of substation projects in support of the capital construction budget and system performance enhancement of facilities valued from $10 to $200 million USD (approximately).
2. Approve substation engineering criteria, construction standards, equipment specifications and equipment and engineering suppliers and contractors; as per the industry standards
3. Guide engineering studies to evaluate equipment, system effectiveness and analyzes operational issues in support of system reliability and operating efficiency as per industry standards and the operating procedures of the Company.
4. Perform individual and group performance evaluations, recommend candidates for hire and salary adjustments, provide coaching and counseling toward performance improvement and guide development of personnel.
5. Oversee engineering consultants who provide engineering and design services to ensure compliance with company standards, specifications and contract requirements.
Develop Budget X Approximately $500,000 (O&M)
Manage Spending X $ 500,000 (O&M) & transmission portion of approximately $400M (Electric Capital)
Requirements JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Education & Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or Electrical Technology.
- MBA or MS is preferred.
- A minimum of 8 years of experience in engineering, including power system engineering.
- Advanced knowledge of power system engineering.
- Thorough knowledge of national and international standards, and regulations and compliance requirements associated with substation engineering.
- Experience with electric substation engineering computer applications desired: PSSE, PSLF, Aspen, etc.
- General knowledge of project management, supervisory principles, theories, and techniques.
- Registered Professional Engineer or ability to obtain certification in NY and ME.
- Effective leadership skills.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Proficiency and fluency in substation engineering theory, application, standards, design, test, commissioning, and analysis.
- Interpretation of safety standards and other regulatory procedures and processes.