PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
Performs the physical control of hazardous waste solvents/corrosives materials
according to the company's procedure. Responsible for reviewing all new raw
materials, custom chemical mixes/standards, and changes to procedures,
processes, and standard operating procedures. Supervises security staff.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Performs physical control of waste. Collects waste from departments. Stores and
labels according to EPA and DEP regulations. Monitors waste solvent storage
areas for overflow, damage, leaks, etc. Maintains waste solvent/ acid & base
chemicals; segregates materials, maintains
- Removes and disposes waste solvent from departments.
- Removes and neutralizes acids/bases from departments.
- Assists in the generation of hazardous waste chemicals and expired
MSDS's, and stores for lab pack.
and special waste pickups by service
- Assists in the coordination of hazardous lab packs. Assists with periodic
daily waste inventory.
- Maintains inspection records of hazardous waste storage area; maintains
- Collects used absorbents for pickup and proper disposal
- Assists in spill cleanup and maintains inventory of spill response
Performs safety monitoring.
concerns in a timely manner.
- Continuously monitors areas for safety concerns.
- Acts on safety concerns as appropriate or seeks advice to resolve safety
- Maintain liquid nitrogen dewer on receiving dock, includes
are to ensure continuous access particularly
- Inspect area daily for proper and safe storage. Clears snow and ice from
with regard to building 4, liquid nitrogen and dewers.
Maintains and monitors facility's neutralization systems.
- Performs monthly solvent inventory amounts to ensure compliance.
Compliance officer for all necessary paperwork.
- Inspects neutralization and impinger systems: records data.
- Maintains acid and base containers for impinger systems.
- Generates DATAQ Data logger pH reports form neutralizations system.
- Completes wastewater sampling per regulatory standards.
using AS400 online entry of template
- Codes new raw materials MSDS's using vendors MSDS's and/or other sources
- Codes custom standard mixes and generates MSDS's.
- Creates new MSDS's for in-house intermediates.
- Provides hazard codes for raw, custom standard mixes, new products, and
Backs up safety director as necessary
- Tracks all new raw chemicals and custom standard mixes.
- Reviews all new MPS's, Standard Operating Procedures, and processes.
- Reviews all revised MPS's, Standard Operating Procedures, and processes.
Organize and direct the work of the Security staff; conduct performance
- Backup issuing Safety Permits
- Backup to Contractor and Vendor Safety Orientation
- Backup for Environmental, Health, and Safety Review Meetings
appraisals, resolve routine problems, ensure training is up to date, monitor
performance and provide feedback.
- BSBA: Chemistry or closely related science.
1-3 years industrial experience, preferable in the chemical industry. Prior
supervisory experience preferred
Essential and Critical Skills:
ADDITIONAL LOCAL NEEDS:
- Basic knowledge of chemistry
- Ability to read and follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to write clearly and maintain records.
- Must possess current forklift operator license.
- Must complete hazardous waste training.
- Forklift operator license required.
- Basic first aid and CPR certification required
building and to outbuildings.
- Physically demanding job requiring movement of chemicals throughout the
- Able to lift up to 55 lbs as a regular part of the work day.
- Able to climb 75 ft ladders.
- Able to push/pull could exceed 1000 lbs by using material handling
- Required to routinely bend, stretch, push, pull, lift.
- Able to make frequent rounds of building and grounds.
not exclude other work assignments not mentioned.
- The above description covers the most significant job duties and does
About Sigma-Aldrich: Sigma-Aldrich is a leading Life Science and High Technology company whose biochemical, organic chemical products, kits and services are used in scientific research, including genomic and proteomic research, biotechnology, pharmaceutical development, the diagnosis of disease and as key components in pharmaceutical, diagnostics and high technology manufacturing. Sigma-Aldrich customers include more than 1.3 million scientists and technologists in life science companies, university and government institutions, hospitals and industry. The Company operates in 35 countries and has nearly 9,000 employees whose objective is to provide excellent service worldwide. Sigma-Aldrich is committed to accelerating customer success through innovation and leadership in Life Science and High Technology. For more information about Sigma-Aldrich, please visit its website at www.sigma-aldrich.com.
Sigma-Aldrich offers a highly motivational and rewarding working environment with attractive salary, benefits, retirement, relocation and incentive packages including tuition reimbursement. Sigma-Aldrich fosters the growth of employees in a culture of respect and dignity with ample opportunity for career advancement.
Sigma-Aldrich is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Sigma-Aldrich Corporation - 20 months ago
Check the shelves of any research (or mad) scientist and you'll likely find Sigma-Aldrich's chemical products. The company is a...