Are you looking for an adventure and the opportunity to start an exciting career? Are you willing to relocate now and once again after successful completion of a 1 year training program? Do you have a college degree, at least 1 year of college accounting and several years of work experience? If so, CNA could have the perfect opportunity for you.
The CNA Surety Corporation is hiring Underwriter Trainees to start in July. Training locations are Chicago, Seattle, Atlanta, Denver and Columbus. Individuals must be willing to relocate to a training location. The trainee program is for 1 year and upon successful completion of the program individuals will be promoted to an Underwriter and transferred to another CNA location. Relocation expenses will be provided. CNA Surety provides a full range of surety and fidelity bonds in all 50 states.
Primarily responsible for learning underwriting principles and standards in a CNA Surety branch office. Analyzes, evaluates, and refers new and existing business to a more senior level underwriter within the branch office. During the course of the program, Trainee should develop aptitude on the following:
1. Reviews bond applications and financial documentation to determine if the applicant is an acceptable risk in accordance with company guidelines and standards. Determines the need for additional evidence of financial standing and appropriate strategy.
2. Recommends risks after complete analysis and consideration of applicant documentation, business factors and competitive situations.
3. Prepares written communications on adverse underwriting decisions, rate appeals, underwriting requirements, status and declinations.
4. May assist in marketing products and services through agencies or through the brokerage community. Develops and maintains positive agency and/or broker relationships to ensure positive outcomes. May travel approximately 1 to 1 ½ days a week to agent locations shadowing more senior underwriters prospecting business.
5. Performs other essential duties as assigned.
1. Strong desire to develop knowledge and understanding of underwriting practices, policies and guidelines.
2. Good verbal and written communication skills with the ability to develop positive business relationships.
3. Strong ability to identify, analyze and solve problems as well as the ability to learn rapidly and adapt quickly to change.
4. Ability to work independently.
5. Development of decision-making skills.
6. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite as well as other business-related software.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS REQUIRED:
1. BA/BS in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or similar program. Minor in Marketing or Communication Studies a plus. Candidates must have at least one year of college Accounting.
2. Minimum of two years work experience in a related discipline (finance, credit, insurance) strongly preferred; internship experience may qualify.
3. Must possess excellent communication and analysis skills.
CNA Surety is known for its expert underwriting, solid financial strength, market leadership and creative solutions to all bonding requirements. Through a combined network of approximately 34,000 independent agents, the company has the capability to serve a full range of bonding needs, from the smallest commercial bonds to multi-million dollar contract bonds. With a highly diverse product line, one of the broadest underwriting capabilities in the industry, and an unparalleled distribution system, CNA Surety ranks as one of the largest surety companies in the United States. CNA is among the top 10 insurance groups in the country.
SUR-Underwriting Field Ops
CNA Insurance - 19 months ago
copy to clipboard
More than one million businesses and professionals count on CNA for thoughtful solutions, solid products and dedicated services. From main...