Under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse or physician and in accordance with the legal scope of competency and within established standards of care, policies and procedures: assists the physician during surgical procedures by performing scrub duties.
• The Certified Surgical Technician demonstrates proficiency by exhibiting the following skills, competencies, and behaviors.
• Upholds Kaiser Permanente's Policies and Procedures, Principles of Responsibilities and applicable state, federal and local laws.
• Demonstrates a professional, supportive attitude.
• Identifies and supports new ideas.
• Utilizes effective communication strategies, including chain of command and issue escalation, which result in intended outcomes.
• Participates in problem identification and resolution in collaboration with the Registered Nurse.
• Prioritizes work assignments appropriately to ensure completion of patient care activities and notifies Registered Nurse if unable to complete assignments.
• Complies with regulatory requirements, policies, procedures, and standards of practice.
• Nursing Process
• Correctly identifies patient and scheduled procedure.
• Performs patient care activities, within the scope of competency, considering age-related needs of the patient as assigned.
• Reports unusual findings to the Registered Nurse.
• Collects data and provides information in a timely manner to the registered Nurse which may assist within the revision of the plan of care.
• Discharge barriers are discussed with the Registered Nurse and intervention taken as directed.
• Clinical Outcomes
• Applies standard precautions; keeps a safe environment for self and others.
• Observes patient/family conditions and reports to Registered Nurse sudden changes or unusual findings.
• Demonstrates competencies during the probationary period and ongoing by completion of departmental competency validation.
• Transports patients, equipment, supplies, and specimens throughout the medical center utilizing proper body mechanics.
• Participates in departmental performance improvement activities, i.e., planning, measuring/monitoring, assessing and improving.
• Assembles and ensures all equipment/supplies/instruments are appropriate, available, calibrated, and adjusted, in working order, sterilized per protocol and organized for upcoming procedure.
• Sets up and organizes room.
• Performs scrub role (e.g., anticipates surgeon's needs, pass instruments, cut sutures, hold retractors, obtain/process tissue samples) according to standard. Assists physician within scope of competency.
• Assists with transfer, transport, and stabilization of patient within the scope of competency.
• Cleans instruments, containers, and equipment according to established guidelines and reassembles packs, prepares for sterilization and/or returns to Central Processing.
• Operates sterilization equipment.
• Operates equipment safely and reports defective equipment upon discovery. Cleans, lubricates, and performs preventive maintenance.
• Utilizes computer systems effectively and efficiently.
• Customer Service
• Practices customer service standards as defined by the Service Area, Medical Center, and specific department.
• Anticipates the customer's desires, takes proactive steps to meet those needs by listening and taking responsibility within scope to ensure issues are resolved.
• Assists members who are less than satisfied with their experience by listening and taking responsibility within their scope to ensure that the issue is resolved.
Pay Grade: 26
• Graduate of approved surgical technologist program.
• Certification from the Association of Operating Room Technologists/Liaison Council for Certification for the Surgical Technician.
• BLS, Healthcare provider level.
• Two (2) years within the last three years operating room scrubbing experience, including a variety of surgical procedures.
• Experience requirements may be waived or modified when an appropriate program or course is available and successfully completed.
• Maintains required certifications as applicable.
• Communicates in a clear, concise manner appropriate to the development stage of the patient.
• Effective verbal and written communication skills.
• Position requires considerable walking, standing, moderate lifting, exposure to patient elements, and handling of emergencies and patient incidents within their scope of competency.
• Some positions may be posted as bilingual Spanish required on a position-by-position basis.
• Willing to be trained on computer systems.
• May be expected to float to other areas within their scope of competency.
• May work weekends.
At Kaiser Permanente, all of us, from accounting, sales and IT, to our care delivery teams on the front lines, stand for Total Health....