The Surgical/O.R. Technologist performs a variety of technical duties to assist in preparing and caring for pre-operative patients. The tasks and responsibilities include:
- Assembles supplies and equipment needed for surgical procedures.
- Prepares sterile instrument table.
- Prepares patient skin for surgery in accordance with hospital standards.
- Maintains aseptic techniques and actively monitors situations which could lead to breaches in aseptic technique.
- Provides comfort and support for pre-operative patients.
- Transports patients to and from surgical suite.
- Positions patient according to type of surgery.
- Assists the surgical team in surgical procedures which may include passing instruments, sponges and sutures.
- Maintains work area.
- Gathers equipment for cleaning and sterilization.
- Assists in the monitoring of the patient through the procedure.
- Provides age and culturally appropriate care.
- Orients and mentors new staff members.
- Follows Standard Precautions using personal protective equipment as required.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS INCLUDE:
For surgical technologist not meeting the requirements above:
- High School graduate or GED
- Graduated from an accredited educational program for Surgical Technologist, or,
- Has completed an appropriate training program for surgical technology in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard of the United States or in the United States Public Health Service.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATES
- Was employed to practice surgical technology in a health care facility before September 1, 2009, or,
- Is in the service of the federal government to the extent the person is performing duties related to that service.
The National Board of Surgical Technolog and Surgical Assisting or it's successor:
The National Center for Competency Testing or it's successor;
Another surgical technologist certification progrram approved by the department.
- Surgical Technologists that graduate after September 1, 2009 must hold and maintain a current certification as a Surgical Technologist within 180 days from the date of graduation. The certification must be from:
Fairfax Surgical Center is a multi-speciality surgery center that performs a broad range of outpatient and short stay surgical procedures....