BLS- Basic Life Support
CST- Certified Surgical Technologist
2-3 years of hospital experience required
POSITION SUMMARY :
This position is responsible for assisting in patient care and preparation of surgical patient by performance of routine and delegated duties according to standards and policies of the surgical center. Perform scrub duties and related procedures. Assist with circulating duties under direct supervision of the RN circulator assigned to the patient. Assist with cleaning and maintenance supplies and equipment as required. Function in the advanced roles of preceptor, service specialist, and instrument room liaison.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES :
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
- Fulfills the essential functions of the Surgical Technologist in Training.
- Prepares for scheduled, emergent, urgent and add on operative procedures by insuring necessary equipment, instruments and supplies are available and ready for use.
- Has the skill to expedite and organize the preparation for unexpected events, giving direction and support to the less experienced team members in addition to performing one’s own duties.
- Scrubs independently on routine, non-complicated procedures in all specialties.
- Demonstrates an advanced level of knowledge and competence for more complex procedures in at least three surgical specialty areas.
- Handles surgical instruments, needles and sharps, sponges and anticipates the needs of the surgeon.
- Acts as the preferred scrub person for complex cases within a service specialty that utilizes highly technical equipment. Knowledgeable of all specialty equipment, supplies, and procedures.
- Serves as a resource person.
- Maintains an accurate count of sponges, needles, sharps, instruments, drugs and fluids on the sterile field.
- Suggests and assures changes are made to the surgeon’s preference cards as approved to include supplies, equipment, positioning devices and performs other related duties.
- Assists in the trial and evaluation of new products and willingly promotes product standardization and cost reduction.
- Consistently demonstrates effective and professional communication and leadership skills.
- Coordinates educational programs that may be presented internally or externally.
- Serves as a train the trainer for specialty equipment or instrumentation.
Excellent telephone and customer relations skills. Experience with patient safety best practices preferred. Ability to maintain confidentiality regarding sensitive information Must be familiar with computerized technology associated with endoscopy equipment. Physical dexterity especially with hands and fingers bilaterally Training as an endoscopy technician hospital background preferred. Demonstrated proficient communication skills. Demonstrated excellent customer service skills.
POSITION QUALIFICATIONS :
B. Licenses, Registrations, or Certifications:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Successful completion of a surgical technologist program OR military and/or hospital conducted on-the-job training is required.
- Minimum of two (2) years surgical technologist experience.
- Certification by the Association of Surgical Technologist (CST) required unless employed to practice surgical technology before September 1, 2009.
- National Center for Competency Testing is preferred.
- BLS through AHA (American Heart Association) is Required
Seton Healthcare Family - 2 years ago