The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research is seeking qualified Survey Specialists to support the Center’s survey research projects. The position’s primary responsibilities include conducting background research and literature reviews on a range of social and economic issues; supporting questionnaire development and testing; and, assisting with data collection, data cleaning and preparation, and report writing.
The AP-NORC Center is a joint research initiative created by The Associated Press (AP) and NORC at the University of Chicago. The Center combines the expertise of NORC, one of the world’s premier social science research organizations, with the unparalleled reach of AP, the essential global news network whose news reports are seen every day over all media platforms and formats by more than half the world’s population. The Center’s mission is to conduct rigorous research on key social problems and policy issues and to disseminate this research widely using the full power of AP’s global reach, thereby providing insight for informed decision-making.
- Conduct literature reviews and background research on a variety of social and economic issues
- Identify and organize relevant polling and public opinion data for questionnaire development and reports
- Assist with questionnaire design; systems design and implementation; and testing of survey instruments
- Prepare materials and write detailed training and reference documents
- Monitor the progress of data collection
- Troubleshoot Computer Assisted Interviewing (CAI) issues
- Prepare data files to include data cleaning, coding, and codebook preparation
- Play a key role in coordination and writing tasks related to business and grant development
- Bachelors' degree in political science, sociology, psychology, or another social science field
- Strong background in survey research
- Understanding of systems design and implementation
- Outstanding interpersonal, critical reasoning, analytic, and writing skills
- Experience with computer-based data analysis (e.g. SAS, Stata, SPSS)
- The incumbent must demonstrate strong problem solving capability
- The ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment, both independently and in project teams
To review the benefits associated with this position, click here .
NORC at the University of Chicago is an independent research organization headquartered in downtown Chicago with additional offices on The University of Chicago's campus and in Washington, D.C. and Bethesda, Maryland. NORC also supports a nationwide field staff as well as international research operations. With clients throughout the world, NORC collaborates with government agencies, foundations, educational institutions, nonprofit organizations and businesses to provide the data and analysis that supports informed decision making in key areas including health, education, economics, crime, justice, energy, security, and the environment. NORC’s 70 years of leadership and experience in data collection, analysis, and dissemination—coupled with deep subject matter expertise—provides the foundation for effective solutions.
NORC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that values and actively seeks diversity in the workforce.
National Opinion Research Center (NORC) - 13 months ago