DJO Surgical has an immediate opening for a Sustaining Engineering Manager located in our Austin, TX manufacturing facility. We are located near 183 and Burnet Road in North Austin.
We are the largest non-surgical orthopedic rehabilitation device company in the United States and among the largest globally. We also develop, manufacture and distribute a broad range of surgical reconstructive implant products through our DJO Surgical business unit.
Summary: Plans, manages and executes all aspects of sustaining engineering activities including: project and task prioritization, planning and execution, resource allocation, maintain and improve existing products and support Quality and Operational requirement. This position supervises Sustaining Engineers and Drafters/Drafters.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Competencies needed to perform the job successfully:
- Coordinates with Sales, Marketing, Manufacturing, Quality, and Regulatory to improve and maintain the existing product lines.
- Identifies project priorities; calculates estimated costs and ROI. Assigns engineering personnel to projects/tasks. Develops, publishes and presents metrics.
- Investigates product complaints. Identifies necessary corrective actions; develops and executes a project plan to implement activities identified in the corrective action plan.
- Participates with Regulatory, as necessary, to execute recalls and/or respond to MDRs.
- As appropriate in accordance with content, receives or initiates ECO’s. Delegates to engineers for completion/execution.
- Participates in activities designed to make surgeons and agents more competent in the use of product including attending surgeries and participating in sales training programs. Presents product information to agents and surgeons at meetings.
- Supervises Sustaining Engineers and Drafter/Designers who are performing tasks related to product design and sustaining engineering. Executes activities through which employees are encouraged to perform effectively and are encouraged to add value to the company.
- Recommends employments actions: new hires, promotions, transfer, demotion or termination. Writes and communicates performance appraisals. Initiates employee warnings of misconduct or poor performance.
- Identifies leads and facilitates process improvement initiatives.
- Performs duties as required by Director of Engineering.
- Analytical - Uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs work flows and procedures.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
- Project Management - Coordinates projects; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and budget; manages project team activities.
- Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; pursues training and development opportunities; shares expertise with others.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; demonstrates group presentation skills; participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information.
- Change Management - Develops workable implementation plans; builds commitment and overcomes resistance; prepares and supports those affected by change; monitors transition and evaluates results.
- Delegation - Matches the responsibility to the person; sets expectations and monitors delegated activities.
- Leadership - Exhibits confidence in self and others; inspires and motivates others to perform well; inspires respect and trust; displays passion and optimism.
- Managing People - Makes self available to staff; provides regular performance feedback; develops staff’s skills and encourages growth; solicits and applies customer feedback (internal and external).
- Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions; aligns work with strategic goals.
- Diversity - Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; promotes a harassment-free environment.
- Judgment - Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; supports and explains reasoning for decisions; includes appropriate people in decision-making process; makes timely decisions.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly.
- Demonstrates commitment to the DJO Compliance & Ethics Program, the DJO Code of Conduct, the DJO Sales and Marketing Code of Conduct, the AdvaMed Code of Ethics, and all supporting and applicable regulations, policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates commitment to the DJO Values, Mission and Vision.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- 10 years experience in scientific, technical, administrative or learned experience in widely varying situations requiring operational and/or conceptual leadership. Level of knowledge and skill would typically require combined experience (design, product development, project management, and medical device manufacturing).
- Experience related to orthopedic implants preferred.
- Equivalent experience in medical device design, working in an ISO/FDA regulated environment, working under design controls including design inputs and design verification/validation plans and reports.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, and customers.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, sales representatives, design surgeons, or members of the business community.
- Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations.
- Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis.
- Ability to define problems collects data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Word Processing software; spreadsheet software; internet software; manufacturing software and contact management systems.
- Equivalent experience in 3D CAD packages such as SolidWorks, ProE, and/or Inventor.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to manufacturing environment.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to office environment..
- Employee is expected to work in varying environments, including office setting, OR (operating room) and cadaver lab.
- Travel expected approximately once a quarter.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk and hear.
- The employee frequently is required to sit and use hands to operate computer keyboard, and telephone.
- The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms.
- This position works in a typical office/manufacturing/warehouse environment
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- This position works in a typical office environment.
- Perform job duties for 8 or more hours a day.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
DJO - 16 months ago