The Swimming Pool Manager is responsible for planning, organizing, directing and supervising swimming, and swim instruction programs. Working closely with the Aquatics Program Specialist in pool programming and management, the incumbent supervises the collection of attendance fees and prepares attendance, accident, and accounting reports. Other duties include supervising in-service training for all personnel, including pre-season meetings of all personnel covering policies and procedures of the City, and safety responsibilities. The Swimming Pool manager will be required to attend meetings and trainings as required, assign, schedule and supervise the work of lifeguards, and other pool personnel, maintain personnel records and generate necessary reports of time worked, assignments, and personnel requirements. The position may require selected candidates to work mornings, evenings, and weekend hours in accordance with the assigned pool schedule. If you are selected for the position, these hours will be mandatory as part of the candidate's work schedule.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
This position is part-time un-benefited, with a limit of less than 20 hours per week or less than 1040 hours per year. There is no guarantee of hours or longevity.
THE FOLLOWING MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS, INCLUDING REQUIRED CERTIFICATES MUST BE OBTAINED ON OR BEFORE THE NEW HIRE EFFECTIVE STARTING DATE.
Any combination of training and experience equivalent to the following:
1. Education: Completion of high school or possession of General Educational Development (GED) Certificate or California Proficiency Certificate.
2. Experience: Three (3) full seasons (approximately 1140 hours) of work in swimming pool management, lifeguarding, swimming instruction, or related activity.
- Possession of current certificate indicating successful completion of an approved course in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation for the Professional Rescuer (CPR/FPR) as prescribed by the American Red Cross or as prescribed by the American Heart Association; B.C.L.S. - C, with a completion date less than one year old at the time of appointment.
- Possession of current certificate in First Aid, as prescribed by the State Department of Health, at the time of appointment.
- Possession of current American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor's Authorization Certificate (WSI).
4. Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Department of Labor.
The ideal candidate will possess the following training, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable certifications, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities for this position include:
- Possession of a current Lifeguard Training certificate as prescribed by the American Red Cross, with a completion of less than three years at the time of appointment.
- Possession of valid State of California driver's license.
- Possession of current certificate in First Aid, as prescribed by the State Department of Health at the time of appointment, with a completion date of less than three years at the time of appointment.
- Knowledge of the principles and techniques of first aid and artificial respiration.
- Knowledge of swimming pool hazards and safety precautions.
- Knowledge of principles of supervision.
- Ability to plan, organize and direct a recreational program in swimming for both adults,
- Ability to train and supervise personnel engaged in swimming pool operation.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective public relations.
- Knowledge of proper cash collection, handling, safeguarding, depositing and
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports and ability to express oneself and
communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of swimming techniques and lifesaving.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews, one of which may include a practical/writing exercise.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process:
- Do you possess a High School Diploma or General Educational Development
(GED) Certificate or California Proficiency Certificate? Yes/No
- Have you completed at least (3) full seasons (approximately 1140 hours) of work
in swimming pool management, lifeguarding, swimming instruction, or related
activity? If so, please specify the approximate number of hours you have
completed and if your work experience was in swimming pool management,
lifeguarding, swimming instruction, or another related activity.
- Do you possess a current Lifeguard Training Certificate? If yes, please indicate
the expiration date.
- Do you possess a current Standard First Aid or higher (First Aid Title 22
Certificate or Emergency Medical Technician)? If so, specify the expiration date.
- Do you possess a current American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor's
Authorization Certificate (WSI)? If so, please indicate the expiration date?
- Do you possess a current certificate indicating successful completion of an
approved course in Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation for the Professional Rescuer
(CPR/FPR) as prescribed by the American Red Cross, or as prescribed by the
American Heart Association; B.C.L.S.-C, with a completion date that is less than
one year at time of appointment? If so, please indicate expiration date.
- Are you interested in working at any of the following pools? Yes/No
- Do you have experience with recreational programs? If yes, please describe any
recreational programs you have helped in directing or organizing. Please specify
the type of program, for what age group, and your role in implementing the
- Do you have direct customer service related to this position? If yes, please
describe any relevant customer service experience you have attained? Please
specify and describe a time in which you had to deal with a customer service
inquiry and how you handled it.
- Do you have experience with cash handling and collection? If yes, please describe
your experience in cash handling and collection. Include your experience in cash
handling and collection elements and include your level or responsibility.
- Are you willing and able to work in the summer? Yes/No
- Do you have any previously scheduled or planned vacations during 2014? If so,
please specify date(s).
- Do you have a current resume to submit? If so, copy and paste text in space
YOU MUST ANSWER ALL JOB-SPECIFIC QUESTIONS IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS VACANCY OR YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE DEEMED INCOMPLETE AND WITHHELD FROM FURTHER CONSIDERATION.
Candidates selected to move forward in the process will be required to get fingerprinted before being considered for a position, provide medical verification of negative TB test results and provide a valid work permit if under 18 years old and still in high school.
THIS POSTING IS "OPEN UNTIL FILLED". HOWEVER, APPLICATIONS WILL BE REVIEWED AND APPLICANTS INTERVIEWED AS THEY ARE RECEIVED. THIS ANNOUNCEMENT MAY CLOSE AT ANYTIME, ONCE WE RECEIVE A SUFFICIENT APPLICANT POOL.
If you have questions about the duties of the position, please contact Jeremy Shoffner at email@example.com or (408) 793-5511 or contact Torie O'Reilly at firstname.lastname@example.org or (408) 448-6400.
If you have questions about the selection or hiring processes, please contact Elaine De La Rosa, PRNS Analyst at email@example.com or (408)793-5503.
Submission of a resume is optional. The Education History and Work History sections of the application must be completed or the application will be considered to be incomplete and may be withheld from further consideration.
E-mail is the default method of communication with applicants. To ensure that you receive timely notification regarding your application status, please provide a current e-mail address when submitting your application. It is also recommended that you adjust any spam filters to ensure that you can receive e-mails from @sanjoseca.gov.
Please save your drafts frequently, at least every 5 -10 minutes. Also, double check "My Career Tools" to see if your application has an "Applied" status. If status shows "Draft" you have not successfully submitted.
The application deadline is 11:59 PM on the final filing date. Please allow adequate time to complete the application and submit before the deadline or the system may not save your application.
If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE THE CONFIRMATION, please email CityJobs@sanjoseca.gov and we will research the status of your application.
Employees in this classification are represented by Municipal Employee's Federation (MEF), AFSCME, Local No. 101.
Ability to perform the essential physical functions of this position will be determined by a post-offer medical examination conducted by City of San Jose Employee Health Services.
City of San Jose - 8 months ago