Period of Performance: now through March 2015
Permission to work in the United States is required; U.S. citizenship is preferred
All candidates must be able to pass a National Agency Clearance with Inquires (NACI) screening
The System Administrator (SA) will support the Earth Observing System Data and Information System (EOSDIS) Evolution and Development (EED) contract.
SA will be responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of system hardware, application software and related infrastructure. This individual participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the EED environment. This individual ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, application software and related procedures adhere to EED and NASA standards and policies.
SA will participate in all phases of development and deployment. These activities include the definition of needs, benefits, and technical strategy; research & development within the project life-cycle; technical analysis and design; and support of development and operations staff in executing, testing and rolling-out the solutions. Participation also involves the transition of software from development to production by performing deployment activities within the project life-cycle.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Install new / rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements
- Develop and maintain installation, configuration and security procedures
- Research and recommend innovative and, where possible, automated approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created, and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted constituencies.
- Apply OS/application patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure / add new services as necessary.
- Administer large-scale database management systems.
- Perform ongoing performance, system and application tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
- Provide 24/7 administration support of operational system for urgent/emergency response
- Must have a BS degree in a technical major, such as engineering or computer science, or 6 years direct experience in lieu of degree
- Must have a minimum of 4+ years of experience as a Linux system administrator
- Must have experience automating tasks using scripting languages (e.g., shell or Perl)
- Must have knowledge of TCP/IP networking and security technologies and services such as HP ProCurve, Cisco IOS, Juniper JunOS, OpenLDAP, OpenSSL, KerberosV, RADIUS, and SSH
- Must have knowledge of Apache and Java application server technologies
- Must have knowledge of storage volume management and filesystems
- Must have proven understanding of high availability, data/system replication, and disaster recovery methodologies in the system and database spaces
Raytheon is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or Vietnam era, or other eligible veteran status, or any other protected factor.
- Certification in Red Hat Enterprise (RHCE) or Oracle Enterprise Linux (Linux Administrator OCA). RHCE is preferred.
- Proven knowledge of virtual systems and VMware
- Experience supporting software development teams, tools, and processes