Looking for strong skills and background in Storage Architecture and Linux Administration
Professional work that performs and/or plans, assigns, monitors, reviews and leads the work of others in installing, configuring, operating, maintaining and troubleshooting servers and other computer systems and providing support services to facilitate efficient and effective use of system resources. Maintains data files and monitors the system configuration to ensure data integrity. Plans for and responds to service outages and other problems.
SUPPLEMENTAL EXAMPLES OF WORK:
- Plans, assigns, schedules, monitors, reviews and leads the work of others.
- Provides coaching and mentoring and ensures that training is provided to others to maintain and enhance technical knowledge and skills.
- Provides consultative services to users to enhance proposed business solutions and to help determine the best course of action.
- Conducts server builds, applies patches, release upgrades and modifications to server operating system hardware and software.
- Configures, optimizes, fine-tunes, monitors and maintains server operating system and system applications.
- Performs or ensures system administration tasks, including adding users, user groups and accounts are successfully accomplished.
- Performs or ensures system backups and recovery procedures are performed.
- Analyzes, diagnoses, troubleshoots and resolves system hardware, software, networking and production issues.
- Monitors and manages system resources, including server performance, CPU usage, disk usage, tape backup systems, and response times to maintain operating efficiency.
- Writes or modifies basic scripts and performs light programming to resolve performance problems and automate systems administration tasks.
- Resolves escalated problems and identifies and recommends responses to new or unusual situations.
- Ensures system documentation and logs are maintained and procedures are documented.
- Reviews research data; and performs or ensures testing and evaluation of vendor hardware, software and other system components is performed as required.
- Writes and/or edits Requests for Proposals (RFPs ) related to technology projects.
- Manages vendor relationships.
- Ensures that plans and procedures for operating under both normal and emergency conditions are accurate, appropriate and up-to-date.
- Assists in disaster recovery testing.
- Participates in ongoing training to continuously upgrade technical knowledge and skills.
- Performs other job-related work as assigned.
- Establishes and removes user accounts and creates network environments.
- Provides ongoing monitoring and administration of networks and Windows systems.
- Creates and deploys application packages.
- Performs site preparation and/or removes old equipment and performs data migration tasks for new hardware and software installations and user moves.
- Coordinates equipment repair and deployment.
- Develops and maintains standardized images.
- Creates and deploys systems, patches for desktop applications, using SMS and other deployment methods.
- Maintains inventory of all hardware and monitors usage to ensure appropriate use and adequate maintenance inventory levels.
- Manages vendor relationships and ensures vendor invoices are reviewed for accuracy and appropriate use of resources.
- Plans for re-engineering of existing systems, replacing inadequate systems and system expansion.
- Conducts ongoing assessments of short-term and long term hardware and software needs.
- Provides on-going monitoring and administrations of networks and Linux/Unix-based systems, including paging and swapping, inter-process communications, devices and filesystems.
- Designs storage management systems.
- Defines backup and storage standards.
- Plans for future storage requirements.
- Monitors performance and capacity of storage systems.
- Allocates disk space capacity.
- Adds and removes physical and logical disks to and from the system and adds space to new or existing file systems.
Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in Computer Science or related discipline and four (4) years of professional experience in a system administration role in a large corporate environment.
Eight (8) year combination of education, training and experience in installing, supporting, and maintaining servers and other computer systems in a large corporate environment.
Three (3) years of experience must be in a Windows environment.
Three (3) years of experience must be in a Unix/Linux environment.
Three (3) years of experience must be in storage management.
Required to help maintain 24 X 7 systems availability.
The certifications and licensing below must be obtained within six (6) months of employment. Failure to obtain may be cause for termination. Certifications and licensing must be maintained during employment in this job class.
Windows/Desktop Deployment/Network Operations:
Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE)
Advanced Linux/Unix Administration Certification
SNIA Certified Architect (SCA)
JEA is an equal opportunity and equal access employer that provides a safe, drug-free environment for its workers. Under F.S. 295, preference in appointment will be given to eligible veterans and eligible spouses. Veterans' preference in perpetuity: A person eligible for veterans' preference in appointment (defined by s. 295.07, FS) does not forfeit employment preference eligibility once that veteran or eligible spouse of the veteran has been employed by a state agency or any political subdivision of this state. Effective July 1, 2007, Florida law restores veterans' preference in employment for all categories of protected individuals previously employed by a state agency or any political subdivision of this state.
How To Apply
To be considered for this job opportunity, you must apply online at
. You must provide all required documents (e.g. High school diploma, GED equivalent, college transcripts, training documents, copies of professional licenses, DD214, etc) by attaching the documents to your electronic application by
11:59pm Sunday January 20, 2013
. You can also fax your documents to 904-665-6192. Be sure to include a
with your name, date, and the position that you are applying for. If you do not submit required documentation prior to the close date for each position that you are applying for, you will not be considered.
As long as sparks are flying in Jacksonville, everything is A-OK with JEA. The community-owned, not-for-profit utility provides electricity...