LearnVest is looking for a sharp, talented and motivated senior Systems Engineer to join its growing technical team in New York City. LearnVest is growing rapidly, and as the company grows, so does our physical infrastructure. As a Systems Engineer on our team, you will play an instrumental role in defining, managing and growing our multi-environment hybrid cloud/bare-metal stack, across our production infrastructure and our ever-growing AWS stack. You are someone who loves to build scalable systems. You are very likely to have a RAID10 array at home, or would love to have one as a birthday present. You are comfortable and dexterous in all *Nix environments, and particularly have more than casually dabbled in Amazon’s AWS infrastructure. You love to automate - we push code all the time in true Agile-fashion, and you are the final link in the Agile chain. You have spent a good bit of time with Chef, Puppet or Ansible (or possibly all three), you love to keep staring at server monitors and tailed logs. And you are constantly on a mission to make things run smoother, faster, and in a more automated fashion - and will spend hours honing Perl/shell scripts to that end. And if things go wrong, you take it on as a personal challenge to see what went down - whether it is checking system logs, netstating open ports, or in general exploring the filesystem like an adventure. If this sounds like you, you will love it here!
You’ll be working at a maturing start-up where everyone still digs in like it’s day one. Here you’ll be moving at the kind of pace you love: fast. The team is still relatively small; so don’t worry about getting pigeonholed here. Everyone is extremely talented and a growing expert in their field.
LearnVest manages two separate environments and infrastructures, one hosted in a managed data center, the other in Amazon’s AWS environment. Both of these are growing rapidly, and as a Systems Engineer you will be in charge of both, including but not limited to setting up redundancy, provisioning new environments, setting up automated deploys to these environments, and monitoring tools to stay on top of what’s happening. You will be working closely with senior engineering and systems personnel at LearnVest, and effectively kicking off what we expect to be a growing operation in the enterprise.
- Strong desire to work in a fast-paced dynamic environment where you have a lot of responsibilities and see immediate impact of your efforts.
- Expert knowledge of Linux / Unix systems.
- Significant programming experience in Python and Shell Scripts.
- You love efficiency and find smart ways to automate tasks for you and your team.
- Exceptional ability and motivation to solve problems and learn fast.
- Strong experience using configuration management tools such as Puppet, Chef and/or Ansible.
- Experience programming in Java, Ruby, Python, Perl and/or Bash shell.
- Previous experience as an OPS/Sys Admin team member.
- Solid understanding of systems monitoring, alerting and analytics (NewRelic, Cactii, Graphite, Log Stash, Nagios, Splunk, etc.).
- Experience with production systems and dealing with production issues.
- Software development background is a big plus.
- Strong knowledge of Amazon AWS infrastructure with hands on experience in direct API integration.
- Knowledge of Orchestration & Virtualization Frameworks.
- A GitHub account with some cool projects in it.
- Experienced in developing solutions for systems monitoring, deployments, continuous integration, etc.
LearnVest - 15 months ago