A Systems Administrator is responsible for crucial aspects of an enterprise-level application infrastructure, including: architecting, building and maintaining complex and fully-scalable environments for use in production web-facing applications operating on a Unix-based platform.
Additionally, a Systems Administrator provides extensive root-cause problem isolation and resolution for issues escalated from first-level Technical Support Analysts. As a subject matter expert, they will be expected to have a deep understanding of the environments they support, provide solid guidance and communicate effectively on areas affecting their applications.
- Responsible for taking First Responder (24/7 on-call) shifts on a regular rotation.
- Responsible for 24/7 on-call problem resolution in their areas of system expertise, and authority to escalate as necessary.
- Troubleshoot and perform Root Cause Analysis of complex end user and server problems.
- Manage Service and Problem tickets within established SLAs.
- Own and modify as appropriate PeopleSoft appserver and webserver configurations; set best practices and maintenance regime for PeopleSoft environments, based on vendor recommendations, experience, and business needs.
- Act as a consultant to smaller IT projects on hardware and system configuration.
- Maintain configuration and automation required for building production and stagingPeopleSoft environments. Ensure and maintain quality of non-production environments.
- Ensure proper backup coverage and monitor backup quality.
- Use PeopleSoft and third party development tools and languages as necessary to efficiently support and troubleshoot systems.
- Recommend, request, and tune system monitoring.
- Enforce/apply security policies.
- Document all assigned systems. Regularly maintain First Responder scripts and re-train team on First Response procedures for assigned systems.
- Learn and apply new systems and system administration techniques and tasks.
- Associate's degree in information technology discipline (Bachelor’s degree preferred) or equivalent experience.
- At least 2 years production Unix systems administration experience.
- At least 1 year experience with Peoplesoft System Administration preferred.
- Demonstrated ability maintaining scalable enterprise application/web clusters hosted on Unix (any variant).
- Experience with SSL-encrypted Java-based webserver platforms such as Weblogic or Tomcat a plus.
- Strong experience scripting in any Shell variant or Perl a plus.
- Experience building/enforcing change-management best practices.
- Strong customer service and communication skills required.
- Experience troubleshooting complex systems issues strongly preferred.
- Experience working with educational organizations and/or educational technologies a plus.
225 S. 6
Minneapolis, MN 55402
How To Apply
Click the apply now button and apply to this job opening. You will be prompted to either login using an existing user ID and password or register for a new account.
About Capella University
Capella University is an online university built on graduate degrees, with more than 34,900 students throughout the U.S. and in other countries. Founded in 1993 to provide advanced educational opportunities for working professionals, Capella has become a national leader in online education, offering bachelor's, master's, and doctoral programs. The university's success is built upon a culture that promotes human potential, achievement, innovation, integrity, collaboration, and teamwork. Capella Education Company (CPLA), parent company of Capella University, is publicly traded on the NASDAQ. Capella Education Company was named to the Inc. 500 Hall of Fame for being listed as one of the nation's fastest-growing companies for 7 consecutive years. Capella University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, located at 230 S. LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, IL 60604-1413, (312) 263-0456,
Equal Employment Opportunity
Capella is committed to the development of a multicultural environment. We seek greater diversity in our faculty and staff to broaden our academic experience and to reflect the diversity within our learner community. We value the input of multiple viewpoints and perspectives across the university and our corporate offices. Our goal is to create academic and business communities that are rich with cultural, social and intellectual diversity. Capella is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer.
Capella University - 22 months ago
copy to clipboard
Where Academic Excellence is Online
As a regionally accredited institution offering bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degree programs in...