Amazon Web Services (AWS) is looking for a talented Systems Engineer to join the team responsible for building a highly scalable distributed lock service. This service is a core component for other AWS services, and we are looking for an engineer that enjoys the challenges of building a reliable platform no matter what is happening with the hardware or network underneath.
As a systems engineer, you will find that we have some unusual and challenging requirements that need creative solutions and the development of non-trivial systems management tools. You should be somebody who enjoys working on complex system software, is customer-centric and feels strongly not only about building good software but about making that software achieve its goals in operational reality.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about building a core service that is designed to remain available even as other components fail. You'll be part of a strong team in a fast-paced, start-up like environment. This is an opportunity to work with distributed systems on a large scale across multiple data centers, multiple countries, and many key services within Amazon.
You should have:
- Experience running and maintaining a 24x7 internet-oriented production environment
- Created, designed and implemented system health, performance monitoring tools and software management tools
- Solid grasp of networking fundamentals, including load balancers, switches and routers
- Understanding of fleet inventory management including capacity planning
- Participated in all phases of the software development life cycle from specification through launch, providing hardware and systems expertise and representing operability requirements around all aspects of a product or product line
- Experience with rotational on-call duties and real-time live-system responsibility
- For more information on Amazon Web Services please visit: http://aws.amazon.com
- BS Computer Science or equivalent applicable experience
- 1-5 years experience in 24x7 online internet and high scale computing environments
- Deep knowledge of *nix shell scripting
- Java expertise is a nice to have
- Demonstrable Perl, Python and/or Ruby expertise
- Experience with large distributed fleet management
Amazon.com - 11 months ago