Digital River , founded in 1994, is a global leader in cloud commerce outsourcing that builds and manages online businesses for more than 40,000 software publishers, manufacturers, distributors, and online retailers. Its multi-channel commerce solution, which supports both direct and indirect sales, is designed to help companies of all sizes maximize online revenues as well as reduce the costs and risks of running a commerce operation. The comprehensive platform offers site development and hosting, order management, fraud prevention, export controls, tax management, physical and digital product fulfillment, multilingual customer service, advanced reporting and strategic marketing services.
We are a publicly traded company (NASDAQ: DRIV) headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota, with offices and more than 1400 employees located across the United States, Europe and the Asia Pacific.
The Systems Engineer creates and maintains arrangements of operating systems, network devices, embedded systems, storage systems, and applications (along with supplementary components) in multiple environments in order to promote 99.9% percent uptime of not only commerce and revenue-generating systems, but also in core infrastructure and supporting systems.
Responsibilities for this position include performance evaluation, system design and rework, stability and manageability improvement, complex system documentation, distillation of complex systems into tasks manageable by system admins, complex troubleshooting and recovery in critical scenarios, assisting developers and business owners with system requirements, design and function, and promoting DR's internal requirements for data integrity and security.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Core responsibilities are as follows:
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities
- Install, maintain, monitor, and tune operating systems, applications and related infrastructure in a 24x7, high-availability environment.
- Work closely with developers on application design, performance, and troubleshooting.
- Help detect opportunities in applications for possible better performance.
- Set up, maintain, and tune application stacks that are the responsibility of the Unix Engineering team (i.e. apache, tomcat)
- Create and support scripts for use in daily maintenance and troubleshooting tasks.
- Implement and support system security standards.
- Follow procedures identified by SOX and PCI standards, and understand auditing requirements.
- Actively participate in project teams and manage several different projects at once.
- Provide detailed debugging information (stack traces, preliminary core file analysis, etc.) to development.
- Develop standards and process to help the Operational Team work more effectively.
- Mentors and maintains relationship with peers to share their knowledge and experience.
- Takes initiative where necessary to help ensure high quality and service to our customers.
- For a particular set of applications/platforms, provide and be responsible for:
- on-call support
- detailed and updated technical documentation
- in-depth technical expertise
- training/mentoring to another staff member as required
All employees at Digital River are held to high standards of quality in the tasks they perform and the technologies and processes that they develop and maintain. To be a successful team member, one must be diligent and careful when making modifications. This is vitally important when making modifications to production systems. Those who demonstrate effective consideration to quality possess an active attention to detail, are driven to make measured and careful changes when necessary, and hold themselves to a high standard of excellence.
Quality expectations for group members are as follows:
Digital River maintains a complex and diverse environment in order to enable through technology the achievement of its corporate mission – to be the leading provider of global e-commerce solutions. To that end, the successful member of the group is required to take on a sizable amount of challenging tasks and demanding projects to maintain and improve this environment. All members are asked to balance project work, task work, ad-hoc production support, and inter-team communication every day. Those who excel at supporting a substantial quantity of work possess competent organization skills, effective communication skills, and a driven attitude.
- Hold self and others to high quality standards. Openly question situations where quality may be lacking. Seek and provide peer review for proposed complex production changes.
- Create appropriate change control documentation and communication required for production maintenance.
- Practice important or complex system changes in a non-production first. Document complex system change steps and make available to the team for future changes.
- Document support issues and resolutions in the Digital River Support Log (DRSL) or equivalent tool.
- Organize work environment and make measured and methodical changes to prevent unintended interruptions to the production environment.
Quantity of work expectations for team members are as follows:
- Work with IT management to set proper priority on projects and stack rank effort to ensure that the highest priority tasks are completed first.
- Set proper expectations regarding project progress and anticipated completion with project team members and IT management.
- Effectively balance progress in long-term projects and short-term requests every day. Keep project team members and IT management aware of timeline difficulties or obstacles.
- Participate in production support when needed and work efficiently to ensure potential interruptions to the production environment are kept to a minimum.
- Keep IT management aware of PTO, travel, and other schedule circumstances so that proactive decisions may be made about project and production support.
Requirements are listed below:
- Bachelor's Degree in a computer-related field, or equivalent experience.
- Three years or more UNIX system administration experience on Redhat linux or equivalent.
- Three years or more webserver management experience on Apache or equivalent
- Three years or more bash scripting experience
- Detailed knowledge of HTTP and TCP/IP protocols
- Experience with e-commerce or email distribution is preferred.
- Professional Certification in at least on system technology is preferred.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Efficient organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently and be self-motivated.
- Must thrive in a fast paced environment with changing priorities.
Digital River, Inc. offers a variety of perks such as an on-site fitness center, on-site full-service cafeteria, free on-site parking, casual dress every day, tuition reimbursement, employee referral program, domestic partner benefits, auto and homeowners discounts, on-site massage therapists and chiropractors, bring your dog to work day, pet insurance and all in a beautiful, Leed-certified, state-of-the-art building with scenic walking trails.
Standard benefits include a competitive benefits package to all regular, full-time employees, a 401(k) plan with an aggressive company match, employee stock purchase plan, medical-dental-vision and life insurance, company paid short-term and long-term disability, a flexible spending/cafeteria plan, holiday and vacation days.
Digital River, Inc. supports and embraces a diverse workforce as an Equal Employment Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer.
Digital River, Inc. - 23 months ago
copy to clipboard