High school diploma or GED; two (2) years experience in the operation of single axle trucks and related automotive equipment or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Knowledge of the principles, operation and servicing of trucks, light tractors and related automotive equipment; knowledge of traffic laws and regulations involved in equipment operation. Ability to understand and follow quick and accurately, oral and written instructions; ability to perform moderately heavy manual labor under any king of weather conditions. Skill in operation of trucks and light tractors and related automotive equipment.
Position requires (assigned duties which) a Commercial Drivers’ License (CDL) Class “B”, to operate vehicles on public roads. Subject to federal drug and local drug and alcohol testing regulations, which include pre-employment, post accident, reasonable suspicion, random, return to duty and follow-up testing.
- Drives single axle dump trucks, flat bed trucks or water trucks. Tractors with mowing machine and loader attachments; skid loaders, operates small patch compactors in connection with applying hot mix pot-hole patching on county roads.
- Services and makes minor repairs to assigned equipment, and performing preventive maintenance on equipment.
- Works in a crew picking up rocks, leaves and trash and cleans up after heavier equipment and assists in the loading and unloading of trucks.
- Supports park and landfill maintenance as needed.
- Trains on trucks utilized by Truck Driver II, including tandem dump trucks and truck tractor with trailer.
- Performs other job-related duties within reason and capabilities as directed.
Under close and frequent supervision. Operate trucks under 33,000 G.V.W. or other light equipment as directed. Supports other assignments relating to the maintenance of County roads, bridges, parks and right-of-ways and performs related work as required.