Tax Manager - Federal
The Federal Tax Manager is responsible for coordinating the tax accounting, compliance, auditing and reporting function for United Stationers Inc. primarily in the federal income tax area.
The Manager prepares or reviews the federal income tax returns, estimated tax payments, schedule M computations, tax depreciation, quarterly tax provisions, deferred tax computations, uncertain tax positions and oversees fixed asset property tax matters.
Our fast paced, team oriented environment, focuses on providing value to the business and quality, while our continuous process improvement approach allows us to creatively leverage provision information for compliance and forecasting purposes.
The role reports to the Senior Tax Manager, with frequent contact with the Tax Director and Director of Accounting and Financial Reporting, as well as various tax and accounting colleagues.
- Review or prepare quarterly and year-end tax accounting computations using ONESOURCE Tax Provision software, including tax provision, deferred taxes, taxes payable and uncertain tax positions. Prepare or review account reconciliations, schedule M adjustments, tax footnotes, management reports and supporting computations.
- Review or prepare federal tax returns, estimated tax payments and related supporting computations, including schedule M computations, tax depreciation, 5471’s and tax credits.
- Lead projects, including tax impacts of fixed assets, tax method changes and process improvement initiatives to reduce operating costs and simplify procedures.
- Manage Sarbanes Oxley processes related to taxes and maintain related documentation.
- Work with Tax and Accounting colleagues, outside consultants, auditors and business teams to provide tax insight, forecasts and support projects.
- Develop and support responses to tax audit requests and notices.
- Research, interpret and apply federal, state and international tax laws. Provide tax recommendations to management and monitor changes in tax law to ensure company compliance.
- Participate in special projects, tax planning and assist with other tax compliance as needed.
- Manage people, processes, generate forecasts, performance management, compliance activities, and associate development as required by the job.
- Understand and demonstrate United Stationers’ Core Values.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Working knowledge of Internal Revenue Code.
- Solid understanding of GAAP as it relates to accounting for taxes (ASC 740) including exposure to purchase accounting, mergers and acquisitions and international taxes.
- Experienced user of ONESOURCE Tax Provision software.
- Working knowledge of Corptax income tax software.
- Exposure to state income tax helpful.
- Ability to work with management to minimize overall tax liability.
- Strong team oriented interpersonal, analytical, oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to manage workload in a fast paced, value added environment while continuing to meet tax accounting and tax compliance goals.
- Strong MS Office Suite product knowledge, including Word, Excel, Access and SharePoint.
- Understanding of SAP, Hyperion and RIA checkpoint.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum 7 years experience in a large corporate tax environment and/or equivalent public accounting role with experience in tax accounting, federal income taxes, exposure to international tax and progressive management experience.
- Experience with IRS audits and other tax audits.
- B.S. in Accounting required; Master of Science in Taxation preferred
- CPA Preferred
- Ability to occasionally lift bankers boxes containing business records in storage (40 lbs).
United Stationers - 15 months ago
Don't think that United Stationers is just another paper pusher. The company is a leading wholesale distributor of office supplies and...