We accept teaching applications continuously throughout the year and are particularly interested in teachers who have urban experience.
Tchr, World Language, Chinese, Candidate Pool 2013-14
Department: Educational Service Center
Work Hours: varies
Application Deadline: Always Open
To provide high quality Chinese Language instruction as an elementary school specialist or classroom teacher of Chinese as a World Language elective in grades K-12, as designated by the school.
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills.
This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class.
Employees are required to be in attendance and prepared to begin work at their assigned work location on the specified days and hours.
Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function.
Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Provide effective, developmentally appropriate and differentiated language instruction for diverse learners.
· Provide high quality language instruction that integrates culturally authentic learning.
· Develop thematic language curriculum for each developmental level taught in the program.
· Integrate strategies that support developing literacy across the curriculum for all students.
· Use appropriate instructional strategies for making content/language instruction comprehensible.
· Promote interaction in the language and encourage language output from students.
· Promote achievement and bilingualism in an enriched education model.
· Lead, advocate for and support a high-quality, effective language program in the school community.
· Interact with families and promote family involvement to support student learning.
Education, Training, and Experience Guidelines
· Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university.
· Prior successful experience student teaching or teaching in an urban, multicultural education setting.
· Demonstrates continued professional development through course work, research, peer collaboration and/or job-embedded staff development.
· Experience teaching a world language in a model of sequential language learning that promotes acquiring language proficiency for real communicative purposes.
· Knowledge of the theoretical principles of second language acquisition; appropriate instructional methods of language instruction; instructional resources appropriate to elementary, middle or high school language instruction; appropriate assessment and evaluation of students’ language acquisition.
· Master’s or PhD
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
· A valid Minnesota teaching license, or proof of pending approved licensure
· Minnesota Teaching License in Chinese K-12.
· Proficiency in Chinese at the minimum of intermediate high-advanced level according to the Minnesota Praxis test for world languages, or the ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview, or other valid documentation.
· Teacher Salary Schedule – 38 weeks
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
Work is performed in a standard classroom environment which requires occasionally lifting such articles as file boxes or heavier material with help from others and/or lifting and carrying light objects frequently.
A job in this category may require walking or standing to a significant degree or may involve sitting most of the time with long periods of computer work and heavy phone usage.
Education America Network - 18 months ago