JOB TITLE: Literacy Specialist
REPORTS TO: School Director
JOB GOAL : The literacy specialist works to support the literacy goals of the campus and the district by providing guidance on issues of literacy across the curriculum, supporting teachers in their course planning and instructional strategies. The literacy specialist provides targeted intervention to struggling readers and writers across all grade levels in order to ensure that all YES Prep students are equipped to master the rigorous college prep curriculum.
ILLUSTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Conduct Benchmark Assessments
- Plan for, train teachers in, and oversee campus administration of literacy benchmark assessments at beginning, middle, and end of year
- Analyze benchmark data to make recommendations for student placement, instruction, and to assess and improve upon overall program and teacher effectiveness
- Progress Monitor Students
- Ensure all reading teachers are collecting at least bi-weekly progress monitoring assessments for all students enrolled in a reading intervention
- Monitor AIMSWEB (data collection website) to ensure that teachers are entering reading data and identify bright spots, trends, and growth areas
- Assist teachers in interpreting and adjusting reading instruction in response to progress monitoring data
- Direct interventions for struggling readers and LEP student population
- Use data to group students into at least three tiers of ability-level groupings, and provide targeted, research-based instruction to support student reading growth
- Work with School Director to schedule structured intervention times
- Utilize resources provided by Senior Literacy Specialist to implement appropriate interventions for all tiers of readers
- Train teachers to carry out interventions and support teacher growth throughout the year through data-driven conversations, observations and coaching feedback
- Directly instruct students in reading intervention classes
- Provide professional development that encourages rigorous literacy instruction at all grade levels and across the content areas
- Provide general and/or content-specific campus and/or district PD for teachers specific to promoting literacy in the content classroom and differentiating for LEP or low readers
- Serve as literacy liaison and support for the campus
- Attend ALL literacy specialist meetings
- Relay learning and information from literacy specialist meetings to campus intervention teachers and instructional team
- Create and present a meta-analysis of mid-year and end-of-year literacy data to school director and other relevant teams (instructional, leadership, grade level)
- Communicate student progress to relevant grade level teams and other stakeholders
- Facilitate meetings for all reading teachers to plan curriculum, analyze data, and adjust instruction or create action steps for students of concern
- Support teachers as needed and as time allows via sample teaches, videos, sample lesson plans, peer observations, coaching feedback, and data-driven conversations
- Communicate recommendations of the Literacy Specialist Team to the administration and teachers at the campus
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Demonstrate behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible;
- Participate in workshops, seminars, and conferences to enhance knowledge and skills;
- Demonstrate knowledge, and support of YES Prep Schools’ mission, values, standards, policies and procedures, confidentiality standards, Employee Field Guide expectations, and code of ethical behavior as stated in the Field Guide;
- Ensure compliance with all state and federal laws, local board policies, administrative guidelines, and the Texas Educators’ Code of Ethics;
- Serve as appropriate role model for YES Prep colleagues, students, staff, and parents;
- Conduct self in a professional manner at all times;
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks, often changing assignments on short notice, with little to no direction;
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with others.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year educational institution
- Master’s Degree highly preferred but not required.
- ESL certification highly preferred; candidates without it will be expected to pursue this certification.
Skills and Mindsets:
- At least three years of teaching experience
- Outstanding record of instruction and student achievement
- Significant work with populations of struggling readers / writers
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
- Belief in and commitment to the mission and core value of YES Prep Public Schools;
- Openness to giving and receiving frequent feedback;
- Demonstrated ability to work on a team;
- A dedication to learn, grow, and develop as a professional;
- Belief that every student can and will achieve;
- Ability to work urgently in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment;
- Strong written communication skills;
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and initiatives at once;
- Detail-oriented and self-directed;
- Initiator, problem-solver, and creative thinker;
- Ability to maintain emotional control under stress.
COMMITMENT AND COMPENSATION :
- Frequent prolonged and irregular hours of duty
- Some light manual labor
- Endure inclement weather conditions to provide for student safety
Length of Work Year:
10-month position; evening and weekend commitments also will be required
School Location: 6101 West Little York, Houston, Texas 77091
Compensation and Benefits:
Compensation commensurate with experience; YES offers a friendly and committed team of colleagues, and a comprehensive benefits plan including medical, dental, vision, life, and disability, plus supplemental policies, and retirement programs, including the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and a 401(k) plan.
* The forgoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required. YES Prep Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual preference, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, pregnancy, or veteran status.
YES Prep Public Schools - 20 months ago
copy to clipboard
These students are hooked on higher education. The University of Texas System runs nine universities throughout the Lone Star State with a...