Experience Level: 1-3 Years
Education: High School/G.E.D.
Basic Function :
Under direct supervision, assist the teacher in carrying out day-to-day classroom activities and operations to enhance the children's development to best prepare them for future educational experience(s).
- Under direction, ensure that the activities of this position and relevant programs are consistent with the mission, vision, and values of Catholic Charities, Diocese of Cleveland.
- Assist in setting up the classroom with defined learning areas and maintain a safe, healthy classroom environment that is arranged to support independence.
- Assume responsibility of the classroom in the absence of the teacher or as needed.
- Assist in carrying out the state and local licensing requirements and meeting the Head Start Performance Standards.
- Assist in the supervision of children and maintain child/staff ratios in accordance with state and federal requirements.
- Maintain a safe classroom environment, which includes monthly fire drills and quarterly disaster drills.
- Participate in child Center Staffing Process on all children within the first 45 days of entrance into the program and make appropriate referrals.
- Maintain a healthy environment through daily classroom routines.
- Assist in writing lesson plans that align the Ohio Early Learning Content Standards with the Curriculum and Performance Standards and are individualized for each child.
- Record communications with parent(s) in Family Contact Sheet.
- Assist the teacher with recording ongoing observation of children, writing anecdotal notes and entering notes on Galileo computer system.
- Assist in completing developmental LAP-DScreenings on all children within 45 days of entry into the program.
- Assist in completing and recording at least two (2) home visits and two (2) parent-teacher conferences per year.
- Assist in completing social-emotional screening on all children between the first 30 and 45 days of entrance into the program.
- Encourage good daily hygiene and model good eating habits and tooth brushing.
- Sit, eat with and socialize with the children throughout daily routine, including meal and snack times.
- Greet children and families at the door at arrival and departure times.
- Attend two (2) parent meetings annually and participate in staff meetings and professional development trainings as required.
- Assist in assessing and recording children's height, weight and body mass index.
- Attend to child/children when an emergency ar
An Equal Opportunity Employer
- Combination of education and experience normally represented by a High School diploma or equivalent. Child Development Associate (CDA) with Pre-K endorsement or Associates Degree in Early Childhood Education or related field preferred.
- 1-3 years experience working in a daycare or preschool classroom preferred.
- Previous experience in human services setting or Community Action program preferred.
- Must have a working knowledge of all local, state and federal laws and procedures pertaining to Day Care licensing.
- Current certification in First Aid and CPR or attained through training during the first six months of employment.
- Medical statement signed by physician or certified nurse practitioner required.
- Must be able to effectively and productively work with people of very diverse economic, cultural and administrative backgrounds.
- Must be well organized, detail oriented and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Must have good oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Must act as an advocate for Head Start throughout the community.
- Must have a good working knowledge of computers and Microsoft Office software.
- Must be able to actively interact with preschool children by having good dexterity with ability to lift up to 40 pounds, push, pull, carry, climb, balance and kneel and the ability to sit, stand, walk, bend, and squat.
- Final applicant is required to be fingerprinted to complete background check.