Teaching Assistants assist in course delivery and serve as apprentices under the supervision of the instructor(s) for a course. They are selected through an application process coordinated by the Provost’s Office in close consultation with the lead faculty for each course. Students must re-apply each year for Teaching Assistantship opportunities.
Duties as a Teaching Assistant:
- Attend all course meetings
- May read and grade a percentage of the assigned coursework
- Make themselves available to their students for individual academic assistance
- Participate in the University Pedagogy Seminar and The Introduction to Teaching Workshop for graduate student instructors prior to, or no later than, the first semester they are teaching as a Teaching Assistant
- Complete Blackboard tutorial prior to the beginning of semester teaching
- Familiarize themselves with student services and other academic support so that students can be referred for support or assistance as needed
- Abide by all University academic and personnel policies and guidelines, including completion of the FERPA tutorial.
Applicants must meet the following minimum requirements for appointment by the time of application:
- Must be matriculated full-time (enrolled in courses or maintaining status) in the semester in which they teach
- Must have achieved a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.4
- Must be within the time limit for attaining their degree
- Must not have more than 33% of attempted course credits as Incompletes
- FOR MASTERS STUDENTS : Must be admitted to a Ph.D. program, or must have the expectation that 50% of Masters degree program will be completed during the semester in which the TA application is submitted. Students in this category will be deemed “Tentatively Eligible” at the time of application, and a final review of eligibility will occur once grades are posted for the semester.
- Additional qualifications may be set by the Lead Faculty
- Students are limited to a maximum of six semesters working as a teaching assistant; students who have already served as a teaching assistant for six terms will be ineligible.
The New School - 9 months ago