TITLE: Technical Accounting Director
LEVEL: Senior Director
Technical accounting and policy for pension and other compensation and benefits matters
Ensuring accurate and timely reporting and disclosure of pension and retiree medical expenses in SEC filings
Ensuring accurate and timely filings of benefit plans financial statements with the SEC, DOL and IRS
Ensuring worldwide SOX and GCS compliance, and worldwide SOX reporting process
Significant interaction with all Divisional Management as well as Corporate Functions (Corporate Audit, Treasury, Comp/Ben, Tax)
on relevant proposal by the due date
- Monitor new developments from the FASB, IASB and SEC for pension and other comp. & benefit related areas
- Actively participate in webcasts and discussions with peer companies and leverage outside advisors where needed
- Proactively influence accounting standards setting process, evaluating and communicating impact to the company's senior management
- Draft comment letters and submit the company's comments
Benefits Plans Accounting and Reporting
- Assist in implementation of new accounting requirements
SOX and GCS
- Provide accounting advice to pension related areas on an as needed basis, e.g. pension, retiree medical and LTD plan remeasurements.
- Oversee and review the preparation of quarterly and annual pension footnote and disclosures.
- Ensure co-ordination of all accounting and reporting aspects of the company's defined benefit plans.
- Update pension policy, as needed
- Ensure that all benefit plans financial statements (defined contribution and defined benefit) and related filings (11-Ks and Forms 5500) are filed timely and accurately with the SEC, DOL and IRS.
- Work with the division/function contacts ensuring control design, test, reporting, etc. is in compliance with the firms policies
- Perform quarterly consolidation of the firms SOX testing results working with the divisions/functions to understand and assess testing results, root causes of any noted deficiencies, remediation plans, quantification of financial impact, impact on the company's disclosures, etc.
- Perform quarterly consolidation of the firms Sox testing results working with the divisions/functions to understand and assess testing results, root causes of any noted deficiencies, remediation plans, quantification of financial impact, impact on the company's disclosures, etc.
- Attend all division/function SOX Certifying Executive Close meetings with clear understanding of the issues.
- Prepare deck for Disclosure Committee Meeting and draft Audit Committee updates.
- Work with Core Team, Steering Committee, Corporate Audit and divisions/functions to develop agenda in the spirit of continued improvement of the policies, procedures, tools, etc. to continue to drive acceptance across functions.
- Responsible for the maintenance of all related policies for the GCS and SOX requirements.
Partner with big 4 accounting firm on audit fees approval for the Audit Committee presentations
Assist on other initiatives including M&A activities, technical accounting questions, etc.
Oversee Government Reporting work stream
Review divisional and big 4 accoutning firms representation letters
Participate in monthly PAC meeting to address benefits issues from the Plan perspective as they arise
Requirements and Qualifications:
Bachelors degree in Accounting/Finance
Successful completion of CPA certification or equivalent
Minimum of 12 to 15 years of experience
Sound technical accounting skills
Experience with internal controls including designing, testing, etc. for SOx reporting
Sarbanes Oxley experience
Strong analytical skills
Intermediate to advanced computer skills (PowerPoint, Microsoft Excel, Hyperion and GL system).
Highly motivated and able to lead and inspire a team
Strong verbal and written communication skills - ability to effectively interact with and influence individuals in different disciplines and at different levels.
ability to present/communicate to senior management
Possess a strong ability to develop relationships
Able to work collaboratively across multiple functions
Team player - ability to team and partner with personnel from all levels of staff and management Additional Preferred Education & Experience
Masters in Business Administration (MBA)
Masters degree in Finance, Management or Accounting