Brookhaven National Laboratory is a nonprofit research and development institution whose purpose is to advance ideas and knowledge through a multidisciplinary program of basic and applied research. The Condensed Matter Physics and Materials Science Department in the Basic Energy Sciences Directorate currently has a part-time opportunity for a technical associate.
The field of Condensed Matter Physics and Materials Science integrates the knowledge and tools of chemistry and physics with the principles of engineering to understand and optimize the behavior of materials, as well as to create new and improved materials to help fulfill the missions of the Department of Energy.
The researchers of the Condensed Matter Physics & Materials Science Department at Brookhaven National Laboratory study basic, theoretical and applied aspects of materials, their utilization, and their electronic, physical, mechanical, and chemical properties in relation to their structure.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Requirements Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Carry out routine beamline maintenance tasks at X22C, X22B and X1A2 at the NSLS.
- Carry out basic machining tasks as required.
- Perform Safety coordinator role.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Requires the equivalence of a technical institute or associate’s degree in a related scientific or engineering field, and six (6) years of relevant work experience, with demonstrated competence in a specialized technical field.
- Ability to follow written procedures.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills.
- Experience debugging and maintenance of technical equipment.
- Experience with integrating commercial instrumentation and low voltage electrical control equipment (temperature controllers, motors, actuators, motion controllers, etc.).
Successful candidate will be placed at the T-4 or T-5 level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills.
- Experience with 2D and 3D CAD systems (Inventor preferred).
- Familiarity with building and interfacing simple electronic circuits.
- Hands-on experience with cryogenic equipment.
- Machine shop experience, particularly for the building of prototypes.
- Demonstrated the ability to perform professional design function.
- Working knowledge of engineering fundamentals and standards handbook formulas covering such subjects as machine design, strength of materials, mechanisms, vacuum, and fluid flow.
- Hands-on experience with UHV and the related instruments (vacuum gauges, He-leak detector, ion pump, turbo pump, bake out equipment, etc.).
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes but is not limited to:
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, apply online at www.bnl.gov and click Jobs, then click Search Job List and apply to job #16305.
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- On site Child Development Center, Swimming Pool, Weight room Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
ERAP Eligible: $500.00
Brookhaven National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce.
It takes a lot of manpower to build a nation's economic and energy security. That's why there's the US Department of Energy....